Cant afford new internal doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have just moved and have horrible plain white doors. I can not afford to renew the doors to white panel doors. I saw on tv where they fixed beading to the doors and repainted them, how easy is it and does it look ok? Also I want to change the handles to chrome ones, where is the best and cheapest place to get them? Also I am a newby decorator, so would I be able to do it?
Thanks for all the good advice here, I can see myself being a regular here.

Sponsored Links
when you can buy a 6 panel door for less than £15 you are unlikly to buy molding for that amount ;)

You could just consider using this type of thing but I would think that they would be about the same cost of a new door, and then you need to fit them.

Yes I know you can get doors for about £25, but its the cost of somebody to hang them, been quote £100 to hang 3 doors.

Sponsored Links
TBH, the beading idea makes the doors look crapp.

Save your money, do one at a time if need be, or do the design in paint

Hanging your new door will be easy - you just use the old one as a pattern. In fact even if you spend all day on one and make a bit of a poor job, it will still be better (and cheaper) than sticking beading on a door.

Have a go. There are lots of guides here or on the web - even on youtube

I don’t know if you have sorted your doors out, but B&Q are offering a 762 x 1981 internal door for £10

get onto freecycle.co.uk we got most of our internal doors from here for free, and 2 off a skip! There's plenty around if you know where to look.

also try gumtree.co.uk free section

There are quite a few places around to source door furniture including B&Q, Screwfix and others... just depends on what style you want as to how much it costs.

However, be aware that some of the 'value' brands are not finished very well. The plating can be wafer thin, or the lacquer can be 'a bit lacking'. This results in the handles looking quite scruffy after even a short space of time. Yes I am speaking from experience - in a moment of madness I got some 'value' handles for a rush weekend job and then had to go back and change them 3 months later :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back