Corner Cracking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently bought a large Georgian cottage in need of some repair, and while most of it is well within the capability of an experienced DIYer (which I am) there is one thing that particularly concerns me.

We have a "wing" of the house which is in effect a small self contained cottage in itself. It is classed as an outbuilding, but is presently uninhabitable for a variety of reasons, including damp. There are a number of hairline cracks in the render outside which have undoubtedly caused wind driven rain to enter the walls, but more disturbingly I have discovered cracking in one corner of the gable wall of approx 5-10mm all the way up the wall for two stories. It continues along the line of the coombed ceiling and down the opposite wall, albeit more as a hairline crack. The crack seems to have appeared and widened over the course of the last 15 years or so, which is apparently when any sort of internal improvement was made with plaster etc.

What I am therefore concerned about is that the gable wall is basically "peeling away" from the rest of the building. Looking on the other side of the wall, the pointing appears to be the original lime mortar and is crumbling. This wall gets a lot of weather on it, and doesn't appear to have been maintained at all. The land it overlooks belongs to my neighbour, and he has said he doesn't have a problem with me renewing the pointing, but I'm wondering if this is enough.

I've seen buildings where steel girders have been run along the outside wall with ties running through to bind them to the other walls. Could this be a solution, and does anyone know roughly how much it would cost to get a pro in to do this? It sticks in my throat to even think about getting someone in, but I work full time and don't really have the opportunity to get into something like that. Any responses appreciated.

Sponsored Links
No, there is a rain gutter above but it doesn't appear to be leaking

Sponsored Links
I've seen buildings where steel girders have been run along the outside wall with ties running through to bind them to the other walls.

Could this be a solution.

Yes its a solution.

Whether its a solution to this problem is hard to say.

There are 10 possibilities that come to mind, but without seeing the damage, it's going to be hard to say if the probelm is one of these 10 or one of many other less possible causes - or even if its a probelm at all.

You will have to jump the fence and get some pictures

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back