mayers tail - excuse the spelling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
has anyone got any remedies to get rid of this pesky thing, its all over my garden. I keep pulling it up but more seems to appear.

Also dandelions, I have used the weed killer and it has made them grow even more, and it wasn't cheap either 10.00 for a bottle and its ****........

:rolleyes:

thanks from a new gardener

Sponsored Links
have you not tried that one with the dandelion in its ad?

"oi, over 'ere mate. no over ere"

yes thats the one i got for dandelions and weeds come back off hol and they have tripled in quantity ????????? :mad: :mad:

Any glyphosate-based weedkiller will see the dandelions off - things like tumbleweed, roundup etc. Takes a couple of weeks to have full effect but it will work. If it's really stubborn and tries to creep back again a second shot will finish it. Forget Weedol - it's no good for deep-rooted things like dandelions and docks etc.

Mare's tail is a different kettle of fish. It is deep-rooted and doesn't have enough foliage to take up enough weedkiller to bother it overmuch. Breaks off when you pull it and regrows. If the ground is otherwise vacant use a very strong solution of sodium chlorate (several times the recommended dose) but be aware that it will kill everything for 6 months or more. (Use a fireproof one!) If there are other plants trhe only real possibilities are to cover with thick black polythene or try to dig it all up (broken off roots regrow though).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back