GARDEN SAWS SUGGESTIONS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I need advice from users of the various types of garden saws.
I have an overgrown garden with old fruit trees and large shrubs, which all need taking out or severe pruning.
I have used a bow saw to cut off the easy bits but I am left with the larger branches and difficult low gound shrub base where it is difficult to get a manual saw to cut.
I initially was considering a small electric chain saw, but I am very concerned about the dangers.
So it comes down to a reciprocating saw or a scorpian saw.

I have looking at the usual models in the DIY stores and found that the reciprocating saws seem to be quite heavy and very long, even without blade, so these would possibly be unwieldy in a mess of branches... are these primarily meant for bench work etc ?
The Black & Decker Scorpion or Bosh sabre saws seem more compact, the Bosch being quite expensive....So,
Which is best as an all rounder for bendy and solid wood.??
and any recs would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Fold out pruning saw sounds the ticket. I sometimes use my Ryobi cordless recip in the garden, useful in tight spots as long as there's enough room for the blade to erm, reciprocate.

OK Thanks,
I must admit that after looking at all the powered options I did see various hand pruning saws today, which seem to have a very fierce cut. These shrubs of mine are very tangled at the base but it might be worth a tenner to try one first !!

The wood saws on Victorinox swiss army knives is the type of blade you're after. Two rows of teeth, staggered, sharp and pointy. Raahh! Check out the Felco 600 pruner ;)

Sponsored Links
I use the big-toothed pruning saw in the crescent shape, with the teeth on the inside of the curve. That holds it against the branch while you are sawing. Some of them have a socket on the handle so that you can clamp in a broom handle and prune branches that are out of reach. much quicker than getting a ladder out.

It will also cut down smallish trees, faster than a bow saw, though you have to cut away from the lean or make a notch.

I'll wager you could cut through half a dozen branches with it in less time than it takes to run out the cable to an electric saw. I should think it is safer too.

OK Thanks.
It seems the vote goes for a proper pruning saw. Certainly cheaper and safer than a chain saw.. I like my legs.

I wouldn't say sexy, but as the actress said to the Bishop
'two are better than one'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back