How to install a C24 timber post?

M

mobius

Aloha :)

I've a pretty drawing from a structural engineer which says that the wooden beam currently spanning the width of my downstairs needs support in the form of a 100 by 100 C24 post. The room has a concrete floor.

After a rather questionable quote from a builder, what I'd like to know is:

1. What would be the correct way to install this post (are there certain brackets/fixings which should be used, does it need to go deeper into the floor, etc)?

2. Where can I get a C24 timber post?!

All suggestions and patience much appreciated, I'm a relative amateur to this ;)

Sponsored Links
Why not ask the engineer? Did he not specify or draw a pretty looking bracket or footing?

Why not ask the engineer? Did he not specify or draw a pretty looking bracket or footing?

Because I'd rather ask here. Because I may have further questions in future. Because that, I believe, is what this forum is for. I'm not sure why you have a problem with that, or the way I speak.

2. Where can I get a C24 timber post?!
From a builders merchant
I'm a relative amateur to this ;)
Thats obvious!
Because I'd rather ask here. Because I may have further questions in future. Because that, I believe, is what this forum is for. I'm not sure why you have a problem with that, or the way I speak.
You've misunderstood what Deluks is saying, you've paid an engineer already for this, as its his design he should be your first port of call. Jeez some people. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Okay, sorry, my bad.

I hadn't thought to ask the engineer. I'll give that a try.

this is a diy forum not a freebie-engineers giveaway.

Deluks was not being rude or had any intention of it.

Yes, how the load is transfered, and how the support is fixed is all part of the equation. And don't let the engineer get away with1\2 a job.

You'll need to go to a main supplier or ask for a special order from a general merchants, as c24 is not a stock grade.

I also wonder what extra strengh a c24 post has when used in compression. :rolleyes:

What are you on about Woody?

C24 = old SC24 grade = even older SS grade = standard stock grade.

From TRADA website ooi:

What is C16 or C24?
These are softwood strength classes. A strength class is simply a group of species/strength grade combinations which have similar strength/mechanical properties. There are a number of C strength classes but C16 and C24 are the two most commonly used. There are also hardwood strength classes which range from D30 to D70.
Allowable basic compressive stress parallel to the grain for C16 = 6.8N/mm^2; for C24 = 7.9N/mm^2.

The SE should have given an idea of the fixings top and bottom though...

What I am on about is that c24 (old sc4 :p ) is not commonly stocked, despite what TRADA may say. If you are lucky, some 4x2 may be in the corner of the yard, but other than that it is not that common to get hold of.

Even two of my local trade only mechants which have massive timber stocks don't have c24 on the shelf except some in 4x2 and some 8x2.

Soz, forgot you were in the land where rough-hewn bits of tree are still all the rage in building :).

Plentiful here bud.

I meant SC4, but well spotted nevertheless :oops:

my extension is all C24. piece of cake to source it.

Ask the Engineer - if he specified a C24 post, he should specify fixing details.

your Engineer's Professional Indemnity Insurance will not cover your house falling on your head if it is fixed to details found on an internet forum.

It will pay out if you use his details. (saying that, if you use his details, it should work!)

My local builders merchant is also licensed timber grader, when I needed c24 spec timbers for a job he just picked out some decent c16, regraded it to c24 and charged extra for it :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back