Garden room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of designing a garden room and would like some advice as to the correct construction method that I should use.

At the moment I am thinking of a wood frame with 70x50 studs on 500mm centres, this will be filled with rigid foam insulation boards. Outside will be sheeted with 9mm ply, a breathable membrane, tanalised battens then 18mm cedar cladding. Inside 9mm ply sheeting covered with t&g softwood.

The roof will be 200x 50 joists (4m span) on 500 centres, 18mm ply, rigid insulation topped with 3 layers of bitumen felt.

Any advice re the suitability of this construction method / material sizes would be most appreciated.

(size of the finished building will be approx 4metres square.)

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have it licked. Although you could easily do away with the ply inside and out. Just staple the breathable membrane over the studs, then vertical battens to attach the cladding to. Inside use a vapour barrier (polythene sheet) over the studs, then fix the t&g straight over this.

For the roof, if you intend to insulate between the rafters, then a simple 25mm layer of insulation over the top, covered with ply then felt, should do the trick.

What's the intended use?

Yes its OK, but change the joist and stud centres to suit standard board widths ie 400 or 600 centres.

Also if possible go for insulation between joists, and if needed below the joists, and this avoids an ugly thick roof when viewed from the outside - or just adapt the fascia detail to make it look thinner

And have you considered EPDM instead of built up felt? It may perform better

Also if possible go for insulation between joists, and if needed below the joists, and this avoids an ugly thick roof when viewed from the outside - or just adapt the fascia detail to make it look thinner

It is preferred to have insulation above the joists to create a warm roof otherwise you need to start ventilating between the roof joists.

You'll want a 500 gauge polythene vapour barier to inside of walls and ceiling as already mentioned. You could use duplex plasterboard if you weren't having a timber interior.

I'd personally keep the 9mm ply (or OSB) sheathing beneath the breather membrane, it'll add extra rigidity to the whole structure

Sponsored Links
It is preferred to have insulation above the joists to create a warm roof otherwise you need to start ventilating between the roof joists.

No you don't, it will be an inverted warm roof and no ventilation is required as long as the insualtion is tight against the underside of the deck

Thanks for the input.

The building will be a small living space away from the house. The intention is to add heating and make it as comfortable as possible.

One idea I would like to investigate is to have the roof hidden behind the cedar cladding giving a nice clean finish. I am not sure how to acheive this but have seen some examples. Any ideas?

Nigel

No you don't, it will be an inverted warm roof and no ventilation is required as long as the insualtion is tight against the underside of the deck

Insulation between joists or under joists = cold roof

Insulation over joists = warm roof

Insulation on top of roof covering = inverted warm roof

Thats what my construction books say anyway.

One idea I would like to investigate is to have the roof hidden behind the cedar cladding giving a nice clean finish. I am not sure how to acheive this but have seen some examples. Any ideas?

Nigel

You could use a parapet detail at the wall/roof junction so the external wall extends up past the roof level and hides the flat roof. All you'd see is a coping on top of the parapet. Drainage would be a bit trickier though as you'd need to form a hole through the parapet with a hopper rather than the bog standard fascia/gutter combo. It would be a trickier and probably more expensive way to do it.

On a side note, which way are you doing you boards? I think vertical boards can look quite nice.

You could use a parapet detail at the wall/roof junction so the external wall extends up past the roof level and hides the flat roof. All you'd see is a coping on top of the parapet. Drainage would be a bit trickier though as you'd need to form a hole through the parapet with a hopper rather than the bog standard fascia/gutter combo. It would be a trickier and probably more expensive way to do it.

Could I use a parapet at the front / sides, but leave the rear side open and fit the guttering there.

On a side note, which way are you doing you boards? I think vertical boards can look quite nice.

I was thinking about using vertical cladding, maybe a 'splayed' profile, I thought this may help keep the area behind the cladding ventilated.

Could I use a parapet at the front / sides, but leave the rear side open and fit the guttering there.

There's no reason why not. Are you doing the work yourself? The junction where you go from one to the other would need special attention and as you may have seen on another thread about a garden room on here, some builders will just fudge things.

I was thinking about using vertical cladding, maybe a 'splayed' profile, I thought this may help keep the area behind the cladding ventilated.

Not quite sure what you mean by splayed profile... do you mean feather edge board; thicker down on edged tapered to a thin edge?

If you're using vertical boards, you usually use vertical counter battens and horizontal battens to maintain continuous ventilation from top to bottom.

TRADA have some good guides on timber cladding but you have to pay for them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back