Decking Boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I am finally over half way through my decking project and all I have left to do is the decking boards themselves.

when fixing the boards to the joists, do the ends of the boards have to be joined to the joist?

so if you have boards running after each other half the first board is on the joist and half the next board is on the joist?

If so im going to have a lot of wastage?

Is this normal? or do you just run them along regardless, i just think that the ends of the board will have weak points between the joists where they are not attached, i understand that is going to happen at the edges but thats minimal and lets face it no one is going to walk round the edges anyway as im putting plant pots there.

Could some one clear this up for me please?

Thanking you.

Wallicio.

Sponsored Links
you always join on a joist
you can overhang the sides by up to 6" up to a fence for example as this is a low load area but not if you can stand on the ends as that makes it a high load area

you should alway buy the lengths that give you best use you need to plan or be prepaired to waste up to 10%

Idealy you should always plan your deck before hand so when making up the frame you will have your cut ends of deck board siting on two joists, with a slight gap to allow any water to drip through

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back