best way to cut long grass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've left cutting the grass in the front and back for too long, predominantly due to us having no summer and it's always raining, and because i havent got round to buying a lawn mower.

The grass is probably about 10 inches long now, whats the best way to cut it down?

thenks :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I'd be tempted to use a brush cutter to get it down to a manageable length for your mower (when you buy one!)

You should be able to get a brush cutter on a daily rate from your local hire shop.

What a job - can't you borrow a couple of goats - I'm not joking :)

I'm not sure if you'll be able to hire a brush cutter now as they slice shin bones quicker than that crazy mesh thing in 'The Cube' and i don't think hire companies like that!

You'd be better borrowing one or using/ hiring a very powerful mower, like a wildcut mower.

Sponsored Links
Actually you might be right about the 'hire reluctance' :oops:

Either way - no harm in asking them... but plenty of harm in using a brush cutter wrongly (had a couple of near misses myself)

remove all the spacer washers and cut walking backwards in a side to side sweeping action
if the motor labours go more back than side to side

about the second full cut when you can go side to side withought walking backwards try moving slowly forwards then when you can cut the grass normaly in a forward motion try adding the spacers back in but be warned you have probably lost your short fine lawn forever as your grass is now thicker and developed into tufts

Job finally done, in the end i bought some grass cutters and manually cut the grass about 2/3rds shorter, it took forever and exremely painful on the arms, finished the job with mower, took forever. Won't be letting it get to that state again!

Always beats me when people say they dont have time for doing the grass/garden. 20/30 minutes a week is all it takes, yet if you miss it for a few weeks it takes hours & hours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back