Fireplace Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,

I have a small-ish fireplace in a large chimney breast in my front lounge. I have already removed the surround and hearth. and am now faced with the firebrick (? - is this the correct word ?)

If I remove the firebrick in order to temporarily close up the entrance to the fireplace with a piece os plasterboard and/or hardboard, do I need to be aware of anything like a lintel that has to be in place ... or is it simply a case of being careful and removing the mortar and brickwork that is filling the area around the firebrick.

Had a look in the local builders merchants and you can buy a new fireplace brick surround (what I term as firebrick) fairly easily. The current one is broken / split - probably from the heat.

In fact I'm still in 2 minds as to whether to block up or leave open, but tidy - not operational but feature hole or something.

However, my original question would still be appropriate in any case, as I'd still have to remove the old firebrick.

Thanks a lot,

Joe

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
To be honest I'm not sure.

I drew a pencil line on the "wider" side (if you look closer) to equal everything up.. Thought about cutting that out with a disc grinder so that the opening is equidistant. This would give a nice wide opening off 32" wide (by 14" deep). Had originally thought a nice inset gas fire with an open flame look. Would be more work of course.

Obviously closing it up is simpler, but kinda open to other peoples thoughts and observations.

Also, I noticed that there's a crack in the plaster about 1 brick line above the top and its a little "hollow" there when tapping you're nuckles on it. I figure there must be 2 lines of bricks that are there. I'm hoping that above that there is a lintel !? ... and am now wondering whether to remove them.

I'll add an upshot to the other photo to show the chimney pipe - which may help.

Thanks,

Joe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back