Project attached Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am going to build an attached garage to the side of my property I need some advise on a couple issues,

For the blockwork below ground is it okay to use Celcon Standard Aerated Concrete Block 3.6N cavity. Some sites say it’s okay for the internal leaf, others for both just need clarification.

The hardcore for the sub base, do you use MOT type 1, I have found on somesites that this is okay for highways etc.. but no where does it say the sub base for a concrete floor.

i am hoping to start my self build project next weekend thanks for any help and advice.

Sponsored Links
unless the blocks are specific 'trenchblocks' then i would say no.

generally a 7n dense concrete block is used.

mot type 1 is perfect for sub floor hardcore infill.

anything deeper than 150mm should be put down and compacted in layers.

unless the blocks are specific 'trenchblocks' then i would say no.

generally a 7n dense concrete block is used.

mot type 1 is perfect for sub floor hardcore infill.

anything deeper than 150mm should be put down and compacted in layers.

Tanks noseall that was a quick reply....this is what it says on the site, it does not mention trenchblock instead mentions foundations.

Standard blocks

Celcon Standard grade is extremely versatile and can be used below DPC as infill for beam and block flooring systems, as well as above the ground in the walling applications listed.

Celcon Standard blocks are BBA certified and available in thicknesses from 75mm up to 355mm. Due to its all round performance, it is possible for 100mm Standard block to be used throughout a build – in all applications listed eliminating any site confusion.

Applications

• Foundations
• Internal and external leaf of cavity walls
• Solid walls
• Separating walls
• Partitions
• Multi storey buildings
• Beam and Block floors
• Flanking walls

Face dimensions Thicknesses
440 x 215 mm 75, 100, 115, 125, 140, 150, 200, 215, 255, 275, 300mm
610 x 140 mm 255mm
610 x 215 mm 100, 115, 140, 150mm
610 x 270 mm 100, 115mm

Strength
3.6 N/mm²

Thermal conductivity
0.15 W/mK

Density
600 kg/m³

May be used below ground in soils up to Design Sulphate Class DS 4

Sponsored Links
fill yer boots!

i wouldn't use 'em though. ;)

Noseall you had me thinking all night hows about these blocks..

Celcon Standard Foundation Aerated Concrete Block 3.6N

Another question the garage I am building is only going to be single skin with support pillars at regular intervals, I am doing the footings and foundations to accept a cavity wall just in case I change my mind at a later date and convert it to a room.

My plan is to lay the concrete base on the inner leaf of the foundations then build the pillars on the concrete base ….would that be okay ?

This project is a pretty big one I have 2 rainwater drains to relocate and 2 manholes to move 1 on my property and the other on my neighbours……cannot believe my luck when I started to dig both pipes run parallel with the footings….. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back