Brick Hearth B*stard!

• Thread starter attractivebrunette
  • Start date
A

attractivebrunette

How can I get rid of this horrible hearth? It looks like it has 4 bricks built into the floor or something. I'm sure I could get rid of the rest of it using a big brick chisel and a mallet, but how do I get rid of the bricks? Do I just chip away at them till they're level with the rest of the floor?

Or can I lift the whole damn thing up and away? I tried moving my chisel underneath and the whole thing seemed to move.

I'm removing it because I want to put down a new laminate floor that goes right up to the fire (naughty, I know).

Sponsored Links
look what I've done already! Now it looks like I just need to chip off these old bricks. i rock!

Hire a kango fron the hire shop and go in at an angle front to back if you can just get it level, thatll do. if not see what is underneath.and fill it up with sand and cement.
Make sure there is no gas or electricity and dont damage the sub structure.
Put some plastic between it and the laminate..
Jay.

removing the slab is only part off the problem you will need to replace the slab with joists and floorboards then you finnish with your covering

Sponsored Links
And if that's a new fire hanging on the wall, make sure it's well protected with cardboard or something, or it will get damaged when you break out the hearth.

Roughcaster.

removing the slab is only part off the problem you will need to replace the slab with joists and floorboards then you finnish with your covering

eh? cant i just fill in the hole where the bricks were with some sort of levelling mix?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back