Laying Decking on the ground

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to lay a decking frame directly onto the ground, since it doesn't need to be elevated.

The area of ground has good drainage and has been dug out to several inches and filled with a weed membrane and shingle.

Could I lay the deck frame directly on top of the shingle, or should I perhaps first put a layer of sand over the shingle?

I'm concerned that whenever we step on the decking we might hear a crunch from the shingle underneath :eek: although I presume it would bed down fairly quickly?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You need to support the frame with concrete slabs or posts that are concreted into the ground.

Placing a frame directly on shingle is only going to cause you issues in the long term. As you walk on the deck each of the stones will move and your deck will be become uneven and tilt towards the mostwalked on areas.

Build your frame and lay it on sturdy concrete slabs at 1600mm intervals.
Before puttin gthe frame on top you should make sure you get all the slabs level.

Depending on the size of your deck you will then need to somehow anchor it into the ground.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back