New Doorway - Building regs and doing the right thing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2 bed victorian terrace with the stairs going up through the middle of the house (at right-angles to the entrance). There used to be a third bedroom at the back of the house accessible only through the 2nd bedroom.

Recently I've converted this to a bathroom. However the problem still remains that you have to go through the 2nd bedroom to get there.

I'm going to put up a stud wall across the room so that it can be access from either bedroom, with the intention of flipping the stairs 180deg at some point. To do this I have to knock a new dorway into one of the two load bearing walls that form the staircase and the spine of the house.

Clearly I'll need a lintel. However since the opening is under 900mm I can use a concrete one can't I? The wall is single skin, and I don't see the work being to arduous. But I'd like to check that a concrete lintel is sufficient for this.

Apologies for being so verbose.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back