Limestone Hearth Bedding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps,

I'm helping a pal to fit their limestone fireplace next weekend (decorative only ... No fire) and this is totally new territory for me :confused:

I'm happy with tile adhesive and restraining brackets for the legs and mantle but what should I use to bed in the hearth?

I've been doing some reading and must admit that it's freaking me out a little as I keep reading about a mortar bedding mixture being absorbed into the limestone and causing staining.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

ESRA

Sponsored Links
i had our limestone fitted by the maker. i think he used sand / cement, but i too had heard about the problem you describe.

another company i spoke to mentioned plaster of paris.

however i am not 100% sure if that is correct.

sorry i couldnt be more helpful

You can coat the rear of what you are bedding down with PVA, this will seal it and allow you to use a lime based mortar 5:1:1 for bedding in without staining.
The 1 part lime will help with flexing in the future and the 1 part cement will give it strength.

Tony

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back