How much would it cost ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi have just been given planning permission to put up a fence 20 panels 5ft x 6ft and 1 foot gravel boards ......but as 2metres is 6ft 8 inch would i be allowed to put a 1 ft trellis on top taking it over the limit by 4 inches ?
as it's what her indoors wants .....
if all the fence post holes ( 18 off them ) will need to be dug fresh for the concrete posts .......roughly how much would be a reasonable price as a ball park figure ..? if there is 7 ft above the surface how much should be under ground ?.............what should i watch out for ? how long do you think it would take to do with two people?
i assume if the fencing contractors buy the fence materials then they
will obviuosly get trade discount ....... :!: :confused:

many thanks

Sponsored Links
20 panels would require 21 post ;) all concrete post should be in the ground 2' unless they are 4'.6" they are 18" ;)
and expect to pay for the 4 " trench to keep the fence height within regulations
best way to work out a job is to price up all the materials then add 10% for the mistakes then price up tool hire best make it for 4 weekends
factor in skips or lots of trips to local dump then add your time +mates to help you out nearly allways pays to let a pro do the job right 1st time ;)

Many thanks for your reply , have priced up materials at 820 pounds
and contacted the council about the trellis but they wont allow it saying it would require another plannning application ..........and there was me thinking even if it were below the 2 metre regulation they would allow it
i didn't realise that you had to be so so specific when asking for planning permission .... i have phoned up 3 fence contractors one has been round saying he'll phone me 4 days ago but hasn't another said he'd pop round sometime after 6 but doesn't know when and the other is supposed to be comming round to night after letting me down yesterday ......incredible ..
maybe i should just wait until january when they haven't got any work on .
i am budgeting for around 700 for labour charge ....if ever i can find someone who wants the job .. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Hello sefencing apparently there is a tool that you can place above the hole and it makes the holes for you ...! :eek:
have you ever used one .....?

Hello sefencing apparently there is a tool that you can place above the hole and it makes the holes for you ...! :eek:
have you ever used one .....?
yep its called a labourer lol
think you are talking about a post hole boarer, that can be used only where the soil is just soil wont remove old concrete left in ground and wont go through heavy roots ive got one but i never really use it on domestic jobs

use one of these and hit somthing and not holding on properly will end with a cracked rib or 2 and poss broken wrists you have been warned ;)

i was going to say a trenching shovel! Totally agree with you about post hole borers, waste of time and money.

many thanks i do have two small trees in the garden maybe not a wise idea to use a hole borer specially as i have a dicky ticker ...have priced up fencing from welch fencing very good prices .... :eek:
.....( no i dont work for them ) .....
i will keep you posted ;) as to how it goes ..
ta muchly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back