Raft foundation with a downstand beam - What does this mean?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - I live in a clay soil area in Essex with a willow tree some 3.5 m away.

I'm building a 6X5 m (30m2) outbuilding at the end of garden. Building Regs is saying I need a "raft foundation with a downstand beam to the perimeter."

Can someone please explain precisely what this means? How deep does it have to be, and what the downside beam part means?

Any diagrams or pics would be much appreciated.

Many thanks for your help.[/b]

Sponsored Links
It's just a slab thickened around the perimeter. Also called a ring beam

It normally needs designing though, and not some random dimension!

A raft spreads the building load across the entire footprint. The edge thickening is more for protection against frost heave and also gives the perimeter the ability to span over soft spots, if necessary.

The clay soil will shrink and expand with changes in its moisture content; the willow will extract moisture and exacerbate levels of shrinkage of the soil. If it's close to one side, it follows that the greatest shrinkage will occur closest to the tree.

Bear in mind that the use of a raft on clay soils will not prevent movement occurring: it merely ensures that the whole thing can move bodily, but not result in fractures to the superstructure. Thus, it can still end up on the píss, just with no cracks. Is that an improvement? Only you can decide...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back