Terminating SWA in a Consumer Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thoughts Please,
I'm about to install a 20A radial circuit to an supply an extension.
For the ease of installation the feed will come directly from the CU and be run though the garage wall in 2.5mm 3 core swa to a plastic termination box (ip56) on the extension wall. From here the it will be terminated using 2.5 T&E to feed the necessary power outlets inside.
My query is what is the best way to terminate the SWA to take the tails in the CU.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
You sound like you dont know what you are doing and the cable sizes dont sound correct.

If you are adding an additional consumer unit I would use larger cable circa 10 - 16mm. You can terminate the gland directly into a metal clad consumer unit.

The other end should be terminated into a metal clad switch fuse which you can then run the tails from, or teminate into an adaptable box and then run 10mm T&E or similar to the existing consumer unit.

David

Let me explain further,
The power for the extension will be supplied from a spare 20A mcb in the existing cu (in the garage) This will then be run in the form of a radial. Because the cable has got to go outside for 5 meters then back into the extension I was going to use SWA instead of 2.5 t&e run in conduit.
Should i terminate the swa in a plastic or metal adapable box and how?
Cheers

elfreddo said:
Should i terminate the swa in a plastic or metal adapable box
Yes, as you'll find it very hard to teminate it directly in the CU, they are usually too crowded. And, if plastic, too flimsy. So use a box - metal is best.

With a SWA gland, of course, just as you would have done if you were terminating it in the CU....

Sponsored Links
A galvanized or black enamel 3 x 3" adaptable box with 20mm knockouts is ideal for this purpose. You can terminate the SWA with a 20mm gland into the box, then run T&E to it from the panel.

What I do with insulated CU's is as follows:

I terminate the SWA into a galv through box, making sure the tails are plenty long enough to reach the CU terminals required.

Then I fix the through box to the CU: Having drilled a suitable hole, I fix the galv box to the cu with a bush. All that then remains is to wire the conductors up to the CU and run an earth tag to the galv box, not forgetting a lid!

I prefer this method, especially for larger circuits, as you don't have to join T & E to the SWA (another unwanted junction).

Of course, some CU's are not suitable for this method, as you cannot remove the lid once the galv box is fixed.......

securespark said:
Of course, some CU's are not suitable for this method, as you cannot remove the lid once the galv box is fixed.......
Use a bit of conduit instead of a bush?

If you use the flexible stuff you'd have complete freedom regarding the relative positions of box & CU.

Note to anyone reading this thread - this technique is for 3-core SWA, not 2....

also depending on how long this run is you might want to run something a bit bigger than 2.5mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back