chimney breast help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
when we purchased our house, one of the chimnys had been removed from the ground floor only

having ripped the ceiling to replace old laths, it can be seen that the chimney is supported on joists.

Now as I know this is not right, we thought at the same time as fixing it, we will take it out on the first floor as well to make it bigger as its no used.

I have a signed prt wall agreement, what would be the best way o support it, would gallow brackets with sheet of sheet be ok?

Sponsored Links
Gallow brackets may be OK, but it depends what the party wall is like in the loft - is it sound to get a fixing to? Also make sure the neighbours know exactly what you are doing, just in case they remove their half!

Building control will have to agree the brackets, but I understand that the Birmingham BCOs can agree them without the need for calcs if they are standard and the job a typical one.

Gallow brackets may be OK, but it depends what the party wall is like in the loft - is it sound to get a fixing to? Also make sure the neighbours know exactly what you are doing, just in case they remove their half!

Building control will have to agree the brackets, but I understand that the Birmingham BCOs can agree them without the need for calcs if they are standard and the job a typical one.

Brickwork is sound.

Is resin fixings or rawlbolt/anchor bolts better?

I'll call Building control to see what they say

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back