Got secure multilock PVC door? No you haven't

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was aware how fragile the Eurolock type cylinder on PVC doors (and timber ones ) was. Easy to break.

However last week I had a demo which was a bit more revealing.

First a device which snaps the lock. A screw is screwed into the key slot, and this is then pulled by tightening a bolt, which pulls it, and the barrel snaps. Then the lock can be opening by jigging a screwdriver in it. Lock opened in 20 seconds, but a bit of noise

Next, a "bump key". A special key is lightly tapped into the lock and twisted. Lock opens in seconds

Next an auto opener. Same principle as a bump key - a tough wire taps all the pins up while the barrel is turned. Opens with 10 seconds.

Next a standard pick. Lock opens in 10 - 30 seconds

So don't think your multi-point lock is good. Your barrel is likely to be insecure, and the weak point of the whole door

And check your insurance. Most specify a BS 5 lever lock to doors - not a Euro cylinder

Sponsored Links
:eek:

Woody, I don't know what a Eurolock is :oops:

Any pictures?

Just had a door fitted...heres hoping :confused:

your insurance will also have provision for upvc type doors written into it,mine has. but it doesnt matter how secure your door/lock is.as my mate proved when his wife kicked him out,a paving stone through the window never fails.
with regards to upvc cylinders,if you have the correct handles/cylinder combination fitted snapping isnt an issue,a patented high security cylinder virtually rules out bumping and picking etc.no lock will ever be secure,there are 5 lever british standard mortice locks that can be picked easily with the correct knowledge and tools.
your more likely being burgled via an unlocked door/window by an opurtunist so i wouldnt worry about it.i dont.

The issue is that the salesmen highlight the virtues of the multipoint locking as making the door secure, and the customer invariable buys into this.

But then a standard cylinder is fitted which totally compromises the door ..... and the property.

Yes, someone will always use other more destructive or opportune entry methods, but I am becoming more aware of more discrete methods of entry by people becoming more knowledgeable of other ways to get into a house - even if its to quickly open the door the grab the car keys on the hallway table!

MW, a Euro profile lock is the ones fitted on PVC doors! They are either oval or "lollypop" shaped

People should ignore how many multipoint bolts the door has, and ask about the cylinder - and get this upgraded for an extra £10-15.

Very few policies allow for plastic doors and euro locks.

Sponsored Links
If anybody is worried about the poor security of a Euroway or any other cylinder lock for that matter, there is a simple way of preventing attack by anyone using picking whether manual or a pick gun, whilst inside the premises,

As long as you dont have a letter box or a cat flap lock the door and leave the key in the barrel turned all the way to full closed position.

This does not prevent drilling but prevents any penetration methods. ;)

Impossible. With the key in position there is no access to the pins. Therefore one cannot pick it.

Edit - Just remembered two sets of pins - silly me :oops: :oops:

If you leave the key in on the inside, then a key can't be used from the outside. I'm not sure if it is the same for all depth cylinders, but I tried one, and one key has to be withdrawn by a couple of mm for the other one to be inserted fully.

So no good if someone is expected home late, and it defeats the 'deadlock' principle as then the door can be opened from the inside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back