Insurance company, heating would not turn on. Won't fix it!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have emergency cover insurance as part of my home insurance. I called them up & reported that my heating wasn’t working; plumbers came round and said that it was the diverter valve, and that they could not change it because the system electronics was too old.

They recommended an upgrade outside of the insurance policy of which I was not to happy.

Can someone have a look at the images below and recommend a new electronic box. Please include a link.

I know a little about electrics and feel I could upgrade it myself, failing that my neighbor is a retired electrician.

Thanks to all.

CIMG8897.jpg

CIMG8898.jpg

CIMG8900.jpg

CIMG8903.jpg

Sponsored Links
That is a very old system and you need to call sunvic to see if parts are still available. Best upgrading to a 3port mpv and new wiring center. (honeywell are good quality)

Just fit a replacement, think its the sunvic DM5651 actuator which fits yours.

Thanks I didn't know what they were called.

So to be sure:
Honeywell 42005748-001 Wiring Centre
Part Number: 42005748-001
Manufactured by: Honeywell

Price Inc. VAT: £11.70

So for £12 sake they won't cover it - jeez.

WiringCenter.jpg

Sponsored Links
IMO it is beyond the scope of an emergency repair, but read the terms of your policy.

Is your question "should the insurance company pay for my old control system be be replaced with a modern one"?

To my mind this is like saying "If my 1965 Ford Anglia breaks down, should the AA buy me a new Ford Focus?"

But perhaps I am being unfair.

p.s. a wiring centre is usually just a junction box with about a dozen terminals in it. your old unit appears to have a relay and PCB in it as well.

It also looks like there is no motorised head on your valve,

Think dm means honeywell as a better valve, rewiring the system and fitting a new valve and box is more than 12.00!

The guy checked using the electric light pen and said it was not sending the signals. Unlikley as the water works, and if you turn the Valve knob manually, and hit the heating button it works.

For the sake of £12 + the valve & making it an up to date system, this is probaly a better way to go. If anything was to go wrong the insurance company could then not refuse!

Ah I see, was presuming the valve was gone as obviously was leaking from the spindle and had a fairly recent new actuator already.

Ollski.

Okay, so £12 for the wiring center, £50 for the valve & £0 for my time. I've just checked and you can get a package deal on the below for £72 - any good?

Contents:.
FP715 electronic programmer,
HS3 three port mid-position 22mm motorised valve, one off
RMT room thermostat,
ATC cylinder thermostat,
WC4B 16 way wiring box

JohnD / Ollski See image of actuator

CIMG8906.jpg

CIMG8907.jpg

So if I can get an order list, I'll get first thing Monday and sort this once & for all.
:rolleyes: [/quote]

ask the manufacturere for a wiring diagram (maybe you can download it from the net) or they may post you one if your system is old and not th e same as current ones. I got Drayton to post me one for my mum's obsolete system not long ago (they do not publish it as it does not meet modern standards)

I don't usually do heating wiring, and find it quite confusing. I had to get a zone valve with an end-switch and it took me a long time to grasp why (with help from my friends on DIYnot :)

It will be easier if all the parts are the same brand. there are different models of motorised valve as some have switches in them and more wires.

It is very handy to have all the wires the same colour as in the diagram. It might even be worth buying some heat-shrink sleeving (or new wire) if your old wires are not the same colours.

You can buy cut lengths of Heating cable with numerous coloured cores at plumbers merchants and some DIY sheds.

Honeywell valve will not fit the control box. It needs a valve that drives open and then drives closed made by Sunvic (I believe these are still available). Spring return valve will not do unless the the wiring is altered to suit.

There is a good chance the actuator is not defective, but the valve body is jammed (white deposits). Look at the bottom of the actuator (the bit that fits the spigot) when hot water or CH is selected. If it drives round, there is nothing wrong with the actuator. You also need to varify thermostats are not faulty.

I am amazed you heating man can diagnose the defect with a light pen. Minimum requirement to find the defect would be to get the multimeter out.

What has the age of the electronics got to do with a diverter valve?

hmmm... All I know is I need to get this fixed by Thursday Next week.

Known Facts:
Valve not being turned by Actuator. No noise or activity.
Electronics Old.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back