6x2 Pressure Treated - Using for garden stairs/deck boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I hope I'm not going to get laughed at for this but I'm thinking of using 6x2 PT timber to use as the steps (treads) & deckboards in my back garden.

Reason being is it's cheaper than buying deckboards, finding 'smooth on one side boards' is getting harder to find and the 6x2 I've recently been supplied is of a good finish.

I have been trying to find out if it's okay to do this but can't seem to find any reference of anyone who has done it.

The questions I ask are:
Would there be one way up for laying it? I am thinking of potential cupping. I guess it's probably better to lay with the grain as viewed from the end like this /\ rather than like this \/ ?

Also, one side of the board has printed writing on, would I be able to sand this out, if this side of the board needs to be on the upper side?

Finally, any reason I shouldn't use 6x2?

Sorry if I'm suggesting something dull.

Sponsored Links
In the US, they often use constructional timber for all elements of decking, in fact they probably laugh at us for using pre-made decking boards.

B&Q do smooth sided decking, and price is about the same as treated 6x2, so don't feel compelled to use the 6x2.

In the US, they often use constructional timber for all elements of decking, in fact they probably laugh at us for using pre-made decking boards.

B&Q do smooth sided decking, and price is about the same as treated 6x2, so don't feel compelled to use the 6x2.

Thanks for the reply. After reviewing the prices, I agree that there's not much in it. I've seen some in Trade-Depot for just over the £2 per metre so I'll probably go for proper deck boards. Going to check out Hancock & Brown tomorrow to see what they have in stock as well.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back