VAILLANT ECOTEC PLUS - NO HOT WATER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My builder installed a ecoTEC plus 18 months ago. Yesterday it stopped producing hot water. If I turn the heating on, it works fine, but if I turn on any taps it does not start heating the water. At the moment we have no hot water and as it is the weekend it is really difficult to get someone in to help us.

Do you have any advice please? I read the manual, and tried a few things but basically from the little I can understand the boiler thinks that there is no demand for hot water...

If I can not do anything to fix it, can you recommend any ways of getting some hot water? For example, if I turn on the heating, will this gives us some hot water to shower?

FYI, we also seem to have a megaflo system, but have no idea how the two work together.. Sorry for my complete ignorance..

Thanks in advance for any help

Sponsored Links
If your heating works ok but not hot water, then most likely you have a fault with your hot water control sysem, Programmer>>cylinder stat&oheat>>Motorised valve.

Most common fault here would be the motorised valve, but first I would just check under the plastic cover on the megaflo(careful of live terminals), there is a cylinder stat and an overheat stat with a red reset button, this might have popped out. If so it can be reset but there may be a good reason that could need investigating.
Otherwise I would be checking the motorised valve, could be seized or motor could be duff.

Hi micky, many thanks for your quick reply. I will try to use your advice, but I do not understand what the programmer>>cylinder stat&oheat>>Motorised valve is.

the programmer/clock/timer is the thing that you primarily use to control your heating and hot water, this sends power to the cylinder stat and overheat stat behind the plastic cover on the megaflo, and this in turn sends power to the motorised valve. If you had a multimeter you could check if there is 240v on the brown or white wire on the motorised valve(the box on the pipe that goes to the megaflo). That would confirm the stats and programmer are funcitoning and the problem lies in the valve.

Sponsored Links
I see. Thank you very much for taking the time to reply and for your help. I think I will wait until tomorrow and call someone.

Given that the boiler should be under warranty shall I call Vaillant directly? I am not sure who installed it and it is very difficult to find my builder and get some info from him...

Thanks again

If your heating works ok, then its very likely the boiler is functioning as it should and there would be no point calling vaillant. Best bet is to call your installer to confirm the fault. I might be wrong but I think megaflo give a 2 year warranty with their controls so its possible the fault maybe covered under their warranty, but don't get your hopes up :D

Yes, after I posted my message I realised that you meant that the megaflo is where the problem may be. I will try to call the builders/installers to see if they can help. Actually what I call megaflo (that is the name my builder used) is a system we found in the house and we only replaced the boiler. It is actually a OSO hotwater indirect 210 or something like this. I am not touching the beast, I have no idea what I am doing.. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back