hoover for brick dust

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Coming to the neat-and-tidy bits of my flat restoration project.

This means I've got to do something with the huge amounts of dust everywhere.

I tried a dyson. This was a mistake, it lasted less than three minutes.

I need a vacuum that can cope with brick dust and small bits of rubble.

HSS want £50 a day to hire one, I'm sure I can buy one for less than a couple of days hire.

any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
out of interest, what happened to the dyson. Surely if you empty regularly the motor won't burn out?

Sponsored Links
I use a wet-and-dry Aquavac made by Goblin. Vax are similar. It looks like a 25-litre bucket on wheels with a motor on top. It is quite loud.

af_2.JPG

A few tips:

get the plastic-bodied one. Steel ones are available but go rusty, and dent when they fall down the stairs.

Get some of the big paper bags that go inside. Otherwise the filter clogs quickly with fine brick and plaster dust and suction dies away. Sometimes if you suck up a sharp-edged piece of brick it will puncture the paper bag :mad:

You can clean the cartridge filters with a brush, also by washing in a bucket.

They are very handy for sucking up water out of blocked drains, mortar rubble out of blocked wall cavities. They will also suck up socks, small tools etc as they are very powerful.

I see Screwfix sell an Earlex one which is quite cheap and probably similar

Ive got an old dyson i use. They have got a safety cut out on them which trips in if its very dusty. I phoned dyson cos i thought id burned it out, they said it takes between 5 minutes and 3 hours for it to re-set itself. Took mine 3 hours :rolleyes:

You cant beat a Henry, I use one on brick dust without the bag, tip it away shake the filter and get back at it in the shake of a gnats naughty bit :LOL:

Tony

Al - it has to be a Henry (I've got his slightly older twin NRV200 - the one with the 2 power settings) - he sucks the lot up. But, but, but always use paper vac bags and change them very often. Screwfix do the bags for £5.50 for 10.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back