Porch support repair advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

Our house is in a terrace. Outside our front door we have a small covered area provided by a sloped tile roof. This is supported by 2 wooden pillars, but the timber is both old and of small proportions. As such, it has begun to rot away at the base. Incidentally, the wood doesn't seem to go into the ground, instead they stand on top of metal 'pegs' which are probably concreted in the ground.

Due to the rot on the pillars I figured I should repair them before some kind of disaster happens. I'll also refurbish the whole thing by removing the moss and giving it all a fresh lick of paint.

Here's my plan, I wondered if anybody would inject some experienced wisdom:

1. Create a temporary support for the porch - either make a wooden one or hire some scaffolding (help needed here). I'll probably do one at a time.

2. Remove the old post and dig out the foundation concrete for the metal pegs.

3. Create a new foundation and lay bricks above the ground level. (help needed here)

4. Fit a new treated and decent spec post. (help needed here)

5. Give it a further layer of treatment either with external paint or timbercare product.

I wonder if my idea of using bricks to provide a weatherproof base for the posts is wise.

I also wonder how to fit the post so it is a good fit, rather than cutting it short and letting the porch sag onto it.

Thanks
Rich

Sponsored Links
I could possibly use one or two of these as temporary support.

Though I'd need to get the job finished in one hit or the local chavs might nick it :rolleyes:

Surely somebody has some advice, even if it is "get a professional to do it".

No?

Sponsored Links
1. If you want to hire a support, they're called "Acroprops". Any hire centre will have them.

What size are your posts at the moment? You can get 3" or 4" fence posts in lengths up to 9' and they're pressure treated so they should last a long time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back