To be or not to be - shall i keep this tree?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
back again with more confusion.

just want to see what the general opinion is out there. i have a tree which im thinking of taking out before garden works starts and that area will be concreted over. i was under the impression that if you take out the tree you must take out the roots. as i am getting builders in to quote they are all saying different things - all say the tree can be cut down - some have said they must take out the root to stop it growing and eventually breaking up the concrete - one has said this is not necessary and can just cut it and concrete it - i then thought perhaps its easier just to leave the tree in but then one has said his only concern is that evenually the root will break up the concrete which is understandable - the tree is less than 15 years old - its actually a laurel bush and is about 10ft high now but not sure how big they get but was wondering if that is the case how long would it take for me to see the cracks in the concrete.

Sponsored Links
Joe - laurel is 'small beer' as per damage; it's the big one's like ash, lime that might cause problems. If your concrete pad is the correct thickness for purpose then your laurel won't cause you a problem ... anyway, keep it trimmed.

thanks Symptoms in that case if i keep the tree will have to get them to cut it down in height so thats it more manageable . i guess i will just wait to see what their quotes come into. i think the one who voiced his concern was more worried that if he did the job and then after a few years he hadnt mentioned it but i guess if i keep it small instead of letting run wild might help also. thanks again

Joe - a final observation ... I notice that you're in London. Lots of Conservation Areas in London which might impact on any proposed tree work. General rule of thumb is if the trunk is 3" or more in dia, is not a fruit tree, and you're in a Conservation Area then check with your local Council Tree Officer. Failure to get permission for any tree work, a neighbour who'll grass you up, = a big, big fine. Permission is easy to get & costs nothing ... a letter to the Tree Officer (after a phone call) with your proposal, maybe a visit (in my London Borough he comes out within 5 days, so no big wait). You get written approval which lasts for a couple of years.

Sponsored Links
small beer as said aboveand the main bulk can easily be dug and cut out very quickly by a decent labourer

hi again
yes i do live in London but i dont think i would have a problem because its a tree i planted myself - was given it as a small seedling or would there be a problem cos its been there nearly 14 years.

perhaps the gardeners didnt want the extra work but if as you say it wont take them long to take the root out i dont know what the problem is as i will paying for it anyway. thanks

When u say "concreted over" what exactly will it be? Paving?

laurel does have a nasty habit of sprouting from dead-looking roots. As Lord Thermo says, get it out first. A pick axe under the biggest roots'll have it out in no time.

Joe - it doesn't matter who planted it or how long its been there. The issue is if you live in a Conservation Area (lots & lots in London), trunk size, etc. as per my earlier post. So check with the Council Tree guy to avoid a £5000 fine.

just concreted over - no paving. but i think im going to keep the tree and just get it pruned a bit so that it looks like a proper tree and not an unwieldy looking specimen.

thanks about the conservation area - im sure i dont live in one but will check just out of interest. ive definitely learnt something today i just thought it would be for really old trees anyway would it effect things the fact thats its really a bush pretending to be a tree though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back