Chimney breast - brick up and plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there guys! New to all of this so please bear with me if I'm asking the obvious.

I have a chimney breast in the room which has a square hole in it. I assume this used to have a fire but they (previous owners) took it out and made a square hole (which is about a 2' cube). I am wishing to brick this up and plaster over the top; what the best process for this?

Should I use breeze blocks to close the cavity and then pay a plasterer to come and skim it? Or should I pay the plasterer to do it all (block cavity and skim)?

What are the general costs for a plasterer, I've never had to get anyone in for anything before and don't want to get ripped off.

Any pointers welcome! Cheers! Johno.

Sponsored Links
It’s not a good idea to close off a disused chimney altogether as it will become liable to damp. What you should do is put a vent in the bottom & a vented cap at the top of the chimney to stop rainwater entering.

Personally I would not close it off permanently with blocks, you or future owners may want to open it up again. I would go for timer battens around the inside of the opening, infill with foil backed plaster board & a plaster skim over that. It will take a plasterer no time if you can find one prepared to do such a small job; he will still have to stand around waiting for the plaster to go off so he can finish up so be looking for anything up to ½ a day’s pay, say £80 - £100. It’s a small enough area for you to attempt yourself though, depending on how confident you are.

Thanks for the reply!!! I took your advide and didn't brick up the hole - I mounted wood around the outside and a connecting board across the middle to create a frame. I then got some plaster board and attached that. Plasterer came in at the weekend and has skimmed it. He did quote £80 but we took the plunge and got the whole room done!

Thanks again for advice - I would have bricked it up, but plaster board was miles better! cheers.

Johno.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back