knocking through an internal wall to make a doorway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have a garage wall that comes into our hallway and because our kitchen is so small we're considering knocking through the wall to create a doorway into the garage so we can put our washing machine in there.

just wondering if anyonem knows if this would be a big job or not?

we've been told it wont be to hard to get the plumbing sorted as the bathroom is loacted above the garage and the water runs through the garage to the bathroom

Sponsored Links
i would not consider this a big job, no.

standard doorway widths are fairly straightforward and can be carried with pcc lintels.

a cavity wall will be slightly more difficult than single skin, obviously.

do you intend fitting a fire door and frame or are you partitioning an area of garage and improving this new space to habitable?

also you will need to deal with the washing machine waste. do you have a drain gully nearby?

not entirely sure what a drain gully is to be honest!!

just going to be a normal door so that we have a little bit more space in our kitchen -its only 2.3x1.5m!! so wer're having trouble getting a decent kitchen that will fit!!

its a breeze block wall i think (that is what is on th inside of the garage so i assume that just put plaster board on the inside wall of the house

thank you for your reply btw!!

A gully is in basic terms just the thing which holds your grate and connects to the drains, ie. where a gutter downspout etc drains into. You can of course also run a waste pipe from the machine through walls to the nearest option to discharge it into but i imagine noseall mentioned it in reference to commenting on how straight forward it was as a job because if there was a gully right there (as there is sometimes in garages) that would be really easy.

As for the fire door thing garages are seen as a slight fire risk, cars flammable liquids etc and so need fire checking. You need to double boards ceilings etc to increase the fire times and in relation to this you may need a fire door into the garage to seperate it from the house.

Lastly check how deep the wall is and we can tell you if its a cavity wall or not. cavity wall will as nose said make it slightly more difficult.

Sponsored Links
If you are creating a doorway between your kitchen and garage then it will need to be 1hr rated with a self closer and there must be a 4" break at the floor between the garage and the house either in the form of a step down into the garage or a raised threshold.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back