My daughter and self shutting doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys, had a bit scare this evening so I need some advice.

I live in a town house fitted with fire doors, they are all fitted with what I've established are Radius Plate Concealed sprung closers??? Thanks to these contraptions, my 1 year old daughter is under threat of losing fingers. These things SLAM - if she was caught in it her finger would be OFF I'm sure.

For fear of having a fingerless child, I've fitted some of the doors with IKEA bumpers - they fit to the door and bounce off the frame to ensure the door doesn't shut tight.

Tonight she's got her finger caught in one of the doors, but thanks to the bumper only enough to scare her - admittedly if the bumper wasn't there she wouldnt have been the other side of the door in the first place, but Im torn between allowing her the freedom of the house and sticking to fire safety and locking her in rooms.

so what can I do to solve this?

I believe that these doors HAVE to self shut in order to conform with fire regulations (and I guess with my insurance), but I want my daughter to be able to run around the house not be locked in rooms. Ideally, I'd like something reasonably cheap to fix this but if its going to cost then so be it.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
i personally would remove the effin things and return them when she is older - maybe.

we close all doors at night and that is good enough for us.

my feelings are, the chances of missing fingers are far too high as to weigh against the chances of you needing closers.

people tend to prop these doors open anyhow thus negating the firedoor issue in the first place. it is safer to remove the closers thus removing the need to prop open.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back