Vent via my coal chute?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, after a recent little flood in the cellar, and moving all my junk I have discovered that the old coal chute cover can still be removed.
So rather than fill it in completely I want to be able to utilise this to get air in/out of my cellar.

The chute leads out to front of my property which is also shared with the front street pavement, so being at street level I need to ensure that whatever I put there is not going to let rainwater in again & is durable I.E. not made of plastic so it cant be broken when kicked by a passing drunk.

(AFAIK I still own the pavement for the length that my front step sticks out).

What I'm thinking is having a raised vent pipe with a hood on that points back down again, made of perhaps cast metal etc. Then to fit a short pipe on the bottom to either a simple vent or a powered fan at the bottom.

Then filling in the rest of the chute & cementing around it all, even around the sides of the vent to increase its durability.

I was thinking of some sort of hood like this:

Any suggestions on what it would be called etc?

Also at the other end of the cellar there may be (when I make it) the possibility of a fan from (or into) the downstairs toilet, which in turn has a fan out to the outside at the rear of the house.
(The downstairs toilet is underneath the stairs, not used (re my faulty moderator) and is yet to be decorated etc so I can make any necessary changes needed to get some air flow through it.

This is a long term thing as I may well be using it to get cement poured down first. :D

Sponsored Links
I need to ensure that whatever I put there is not going to let rainwater in again & is durable I.E. not made of plastic so it cant be broken when kicked by a passing drunk.
you will also need to make sure you don't injure anyone as a result of these works, or else it could be £££££££.

(AFAIK I still own the pavement for the length that my front step sticks out).
what makes you think you own the public footpath? if it is a public footpath, i think maybe highways own it.

i have seen instances where cellar chutes have had raised brickwork with airbricks installed and capped off with paving slabs.

What makes me think that i own it, and I'm only talking about 12" of it, is that on this street all the terrace have front steps that come out 12"
and have had coal chutes there, either way I own the coal chute.

Anything I put there will be close up against my wall & for anyone to trip on it they would have to be doing spiderman impressions & will first fall over a few stone steps.
What I was hoping is that someone would recognise a similar vent & let me know what it might be called.

I think that i'll also be getting some 2" (ish) sprinkler piping and sticking that out the same hole (with a U on top) so if needed I have somewhere to pump water out of.

Sponsored Links
still sounds like a tripping hazzard,

"dont forget, we get are paid by the insurers of the people who caused the accident"

a lot of them out there. :cry:

perhaps a picture of said area would help?

No I'm Matty, Eric is another fella :D

Yes I'll try & get a picture when I can find a digi camera that actually works
But I'm in no hurry with this, I'll reseal the over for now & it will likely be next years project :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back