How to join multi strand cable/flex.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I seem to remember reading/seeing somthing that says you cannot (or not supposed to) join multi strand cable/flex with choc bloc, or junction boxes.

Just re-wiring my caravan, and you have to use a flex type cable for this, but how do you join it if not using a choc bloc or junction box?

The sockets are no problem, these each have their own supply from the C/U, as does the charger, but i was going to use one supply for the lights (2 of, one front, one 2/3 of the way down.

Is this true or am i imagining it, I cant find it anywhere in my books!

Sponsored Links
I do not know of any reason why you should not use the correct size choc block connector, but crimp joints are better

If this is a touring van, and you are not wiring in conduit, you do have to use flexible type cables, and these must have a minimum size of 1.5mm

I see no reason why you cannot terminate flex into terminals or terminal blocks, however, due to the small strands it is best to fold over the conductors to fill the terminals. You could also consider furrel crimps which are crimped onto the end of the flex and present a pin type conductor to the terminal.

I hope you are bonding the chassis with some 4mm earth aswell ;)

thanks, yes the chassis will be earthed, although theres not much chassis anyway, its an old steel chassis jobbie.

can i get a second opinion on the regs, looking at 608-03-04, am i right in thinking the body doesnt need bonding?

Sponsored Links
if possible try to use terminals that have a metal clamp plate (you can get terminal block with theese if you look arround a bit). Failing that make sure you are carefull to actually get the flex well clamped under the screw and avoid mixing flex and solid cable in the same terminal.

I will be earthing the chassis, I just need to know if the body panels need earthing, from what i read it doesn`t

No, if they did, you would be earthing sooooo many things! They are not stricktly speaking an extraneous conductive part as they are not in contact with the ground.

I think maybe what you remember hearing is that stranded cables ideally shouldn't be under the same screw connectors as solid ones, so if joining solid to stranded then use something that grips using separate screws, like a terminal strip in choc block rather than a traditional JB :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back