bit of electrical advice required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Is there anyone about who could advise me how to cable a timer fan to a pull cord wall light in my bathroom ?

I seem to have lost the instructions from the fan box.

Sponsored Links
It should be quite simple. The fan should have a permanent supply from the lighting circuit, and 2 wires running from the fan to the switch, to control the on/off action of the fan (one red, the other black/bare)

What markings are on the connector block on the fan?

Tom. said:
It should be quite simple. The fan should have a permanent supply from the lighting circuit, and 2 wires running from the fan to the switch, to control the on/off action of the fan (one red, the other black/bare)
Tom - don't you think that the fan might find it quite useful to have a neutral as well?

And if your own lighting circuits are wired up such that black and earth conductors are freely interchangeable, you should get them sorted asap...

John If instructions are all you want, look up the manufacturer on the net or ring them for a copy.

Sponsored Links
timer fan to a pull cord wall light?

You mean you want to pick up the supply from the wall light? Do you want the fan to be triggered when you switch the main bathroom light on? Or do you want it to come on when you pull the cord of the wall light?

Don't forget you may require supplementary bonding and a 3 pole isolator, if the fan is going in zone 1 or 2 it must be fit for that purpose

ban-all-sheds said:
Tom. said:
Tom - don't you think that the fan might find it quite useful to have a neutral as well?

And if your own lighting circuits are wired up such that black and earth conductors are freely interchangeable, you should get them sorted asap...

The wiring in my house is fine thanks. I didn't suggest that the fan need not have neutral, I said that you only really need to switch the live, for which you only need 2 wires?

Tom. said:
ban-all-sheds said:
Tom. said:

The wiring in my house is fine thanks. I didn't suggest that the fan need not have neutral, I said that you only really need to switch the live, for which you only need 2 wires?
Well - maybe I misunderstood:

You said:
It should be quite simple. The fan should have a permanent supply from the lighting circuit,
Permanent supply - that must mean the permanent live feed - what else can "permanent supply from the lighting circuit" mean?

And then you said:
and 2 wires running from the fan to the switch, to control the on/off action of the fan
So that will be the switched live and the.... what? You've already got the permanent live; the switched live you can get from the switch, but so far there's no neutral. True you didn't actually say that the fan doesn't need a neutral, but you didn't describe connecting one, and you aren't going to find one at the light switch.

And then you said:
(one red, the other black/bare)
It's hard to put any interpretation on "the other black/bare" except that you think that black wires and bare wires are interchangeable, or at least that it doesn't matter which you use for what. If I'm wrong, tell me, what does "2 wires.... one red, the other black/bare" mean?

If it's a timer fan, it'll need perm live, switched live and neutral, via a triple pole iso, either a rocker in zone 3/ outside zones or pull cord.

kendor said:
ban-all-sheds said:
Well - maybe I misunderstood
Well it wouldn't be the first time :LOL:
Indeed not.

Nor would it be the first time that somebody wrote garbled rubbish and then tried to make out that they hadn't...

kendor said:
ban-all-sheds said:
Well - maybe I misunderstood
Well it wouldn't be the first time :LOL:
ban-all-sheds said:
Indeed not.

Nor would it be the first time that somebody wrote garbled rubbish and then tried to make out that they hadn't...

Does that mean you will be refraining from doing so in the future then :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

How to 3 amp fuse the sw and permanent live to fan ... In the two cases I have seen, for simple in-line duct fans, the Manf states a requirement for 3 amp fuse protection. ( I know, that old chestnut again !)
-----------------------------------o0o------------------------------
An answer to this problem was posted by Ban-All-Sheds
Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:17 am
Subject : fused connection units ( pipme )
-----------------------------------o0o------------------------------
I do not think the inexperienced would arrive at that workable answer by looking at the Fitting instructions in the box.

P

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back