Ariston Microgenus Combi 27MFFI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I hope someone can assist.

I moved into my new house 1 month ago. About 2 weeks ago we found that water would heat up and then go cold, and cycle like this every 20 seconds or so (especially in the upstairs). Looking at the boiler, it's heating up and then cutting out.

I've had an Ariston 'recommended' plumber look at it, and he said we need a new domestic heat exchanger as it's sludged up, and a powerflush, totalling £470 ex VAT. The boiler is just over 3 years old.

I put the central heating on the other day and it's working fine - couldn't find cold spots anywhere on the system. A colleague at work spoke to her husband who is a plumber and he believes that it's unlikely I need a powerflush, and just changing the part should resolve the issue.

Can anyone offer any advice?

(p.s. I assumed the domestic hear exchanger is the secondary heat exchanger judging by the price (£70 inc fitting)?)

Thanks in advance,
Graham

Sponsored Links
Chances are it is just the PHE that is clogged, but unless you take some step to clean the system then the problem will be back.

Would, at the least suggerst a Magnaclean and some X400/Adey Detox as well as the PHE.

So that's the primary heat exchanger, not secondary?

Thanks
Graham

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I'm prepared to replace the secondary heat exchanger, but first of all I thought I'd try giving it a clean out - I thought about using the jet washer on it, I assume this can't really do any damage?

Thanks
Graham

In answer, yes. 10 minutes of jet washing cleaned a lot of much out and all is now working!

Thanks for everyone's assistance.

Graham

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back