Arrrggghhhh dog chewed thru cable!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:mad: Flippin dog (who we are looking after for a mate!) has chewed through the cable of my Hair straighteners and I need them for the morning...grrrrrr

Out of desperation I've attempted to repair the damage. I chopped the cable in half and stripped back the wires and re-joined them together by twisting the wires and wrapping them in electric tape (seperately!).

Will it be safe to use them in this condition just the once in the morning until I can get something more permanent? Or will they go KABOOOOM!!!???

What would be the safest way to join the two ends permanently? Or are they destined for the dump and me to bad hair days :cry:

Sponsored Links
crimps, but you wont get them now. bin them and give your mate the bill

one of my female friends looks stunning when she doesn't straighten her hair. it goes all curly and shiny. :cool:

AHEM . . . anyway you should throw the straighteners away.

Sponsored Links
lol, not a fan of dogs either.

The bottom line is you should not attempt to put a temporary repair in any flexiable cable. Can you cut back beyond the damage, fit a plug and use an extension cable? Failing that, throw them away and buy a new set, taping the cables up is not even in my opinion a temporary fix and is dangerous.

I think the consensus is that what I have done is not safe :eek: I won't plug it in I promise!

The darn dog chewed it about 3ft from the appliance so fixing a plug is feasible with an extension.

What do you use if you want to extend a cable without using an extension cable then?

Use a proper manufactured cable connector or replace the whole length of cable.
Don't use crimps in a flexible cable, they do not provide strain relief.

Thanks for all the advice.

I've popped the plug onto the shortened cable - thanks for that Lucy :mad: (that's the name of the dog!)

I actually used them today, they might've already been damaged then but I didn't notice :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back