What is the black paint around the bottom of a house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is rendered and as with many of it's type the bricks below the render are painted black. This needs recoating in places, but what is the paint? It's partly below the DPC, so presumably needs to be something that lets it breathe, but resists rain penetration (the bricks are very porus). The stuff that's on there at the moment is kind of chalky to the touch. What should I be using here?

Also, one wall of the house joins a neighbours pathway that is quite a way above the standard DPC, although I think a vertical one is in place. These bricks are not painted. Is there a reason for this, or should I paint them as well?

Thanks for your help!

Ben

Sponsored Links
I believe the black paint on the exterior bricks under my DPC is a bitumastic paint. Would assume you have similar.

tumbleweed.gif

Sponsored Links
Just scraped some of the old stuff off, smells like tarmac, so guess your right!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back