New bathroom = banging pipes!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had a new bathroom installed, this includes a shower with a mixer. Since the installation, water pipes bang every time any water system in the flat is used - kitchen taps, bathroom taps, toilet, washing machine. Also, when using the shower and you try to increase the temperature, the pipes in the wall vibrate and the water flow stutters. I have a combi boiler. This did not happen before the new bathroom was installed.

Does anybody have experience of this or know what we should be doing (apart from calling a plumber out!) to try and resolve it?

Sponsored Links
Sounds to me as though poor installation of the pipework is the cause of the problem. Perhaps a pipe has come out of it's clip (if fitted) and is banging against something else.

If you had the bathroom installed by a professional, get him back to sort it.

Bet it`s the shower mixer...is it like a horizontal bar on the wall. :?: LOT of cheapo ones like that about :cry: should be specificaly for a combi system

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a typical London builders job (I live in the next postcode), where they did not even bother to clip the pipes. I come across cases like this one a lot. One builder taking on a project and finds the cheapest plumber (smate), apprentice chippie and trainee electrician to do the work. You got 3 options. One, live with it. 2 get a proper plumber to correct all the defects. 3 get the builder back to repair the faults. My guess is that you do not have any test reports, commissioning sheets, or building control approval documents either. It depends on what is done exactly, but any half decent installer should have given you at least a certificate confirming that the electrical work is done by a qualified engineer and tested up to spec.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back