No hot water - please help, we're dirty and cold!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1991 vintage fully pumped, conventional central heating system in a two story house heated with a baxi solo boiler in the kitchen. ( not a combi)

All has been fine until this morning.

When the timer switches everything on, the boiler won't light.

The pump works fine, the flow valve works fine, the pilot light is lit as per normal, nobody has touched any of the temp controls or thermostats and fiddling with them makes no difference.

All that happens is that you hear the normal little micro switch 'tick' from within the boiler and then nothing - no WHOOOMPH. I can hear a slight hum as per normal but I assume that this is just the hum from the pump filtering down into the boiler via the pipework?

Any clues as we are dirty and cold!

Please help! :(

Sponsored Links
no, but have you got an immersion heater in the hot water cylinder? That would let you keep clean until the boiler is fixed

Bit more info on the boiler please

GC number or exact model is useful

If we assume that being 16 years old, the boiler is a Baxi WM51/3RS or similar then I would be fairly confident that you have a problem with the gas valve. you need a CORGI i'm afraid.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, it's a baxi solo 40/4 RS.

Removed the solenoid which turned out to be open circuit so ordered another one.

Part GC 364 835

No offence to anyone, but I'll give corgi a miss on this occaison as I'm pretty confident I can re-tighten the two srews and re-attach the power cabe... ;)

Thanks for the responses.

Looks like I'm on the gas fire and immersion heater for a few days then until the new part arrives.

Last Triumph said:
Looks like I'm on the gas fire and immersion heater for a few days then until the new part arrives.

In this weather you dont really need heating surely?

As you have an immersion heater then you should not be dirty either!

Some of my clients take cold showers until their boilers are fixed. Thats not for long as I usually try to attend the same day!

Tony

Got a mate who is that tight he will try and make it to december before putting heating on no matter how cold. Well at party there last week with everyone in garden doors and windows all open stuck his heating on and room stat up to 30.... Obviously denied all knowledge this afternoon when he was quizzing us in the pub. we only laughed when his bsck was turned. :LOL: :LOL:

I went to fix a Worcester diverter on the instructions of the girlfriend as she was going to move back in with him again.

It had been not working on hot water for a WHOLE YEAR !

I was expecting a VERY dirty man in combat trousers and unshaven.

In fact he was about 55, very smart and clean and with white hair and goatee beard. Modern computers and a new car outside! Just no hot water!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back