Laying Laminate in an Awkward Area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to lay laminate flooring in my hallway. The problem is my hallway doesn't have a flat wall to start against.

It is like a backwards "L" shape. At the top of the "L" is the door to the cupboard under the stairs. Then at the bottom is the stairs themselves, and opposite those, the front door.

None of these surfaces are flat and stable like a wall and therefore my boards are moving around when I try to hammer the next row down. I suppose the most stable part is the stairs, but that effectively involves starting the flooring in the middle of the hall area.

Any tips much appreciated.

Mischa

Sponsored Links
I layed mine into the cupboard. Can you not nail a batten & start from there, you could paint it stain it, lay hardwood strip

Thanks, one more question.

The width of the hallway in front of the under-stairs cupboard door is less wide than a laminate flooring plank.

is there any advantage in alternating the rows so that one row is whole, the next is two part planks etc, in this situation? Would it be fine just to put the entire planks (sawn to size) next to each other? I guess it would end up being about 6 planks' worth wide.

Logic tells me this would ensure I don't risk ending up with any gaps since the planks would just be stacked one after the other, but is there a reason this would not work?

Thanks again,

Mischa

Sponsored Links
I dont think this will look quite as nice, when it meets other planks, but cant see why you cant do it that way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back