vaillant ecotec plus 837 boiler problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
sorry if a question like this has been asked before

but before i call out for service i just wonder if i'm missing something simple

when i turn my tap on for hot water, i get hottish water for a minute then it cools down. i can only get hot water back if i turn the tap off and wait a couple of minutes. this would repeat itself.

on the boiler info panel i'm getting no fault codes so the troubleshooting guide is no help but the flame symbol is going on and off intermittently as if the boiler is going on and off.

p.s the central heating appears to be ok

anyone got any ideas?? thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
What temperature have you got the DHW stat set on? Ideally it should be around 55C.

Dave should be expert the expert on this model but it sounds as if the store is not heating properly. Store temp sensor?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Try turning it up to 55-60C and see what happens.

Also if fault is still apparent press the 'i' button and post what display reads as it goes through this process. It should start at S10 - S11 - S13 then S14 in that order if all is ok.

Yet to have one go faulty on a properly installed installation. But then there is always a first time.

gas4you said:

Also if fault is still apparent press the 'i' button and post what display reads as it goes through this process. It should start at S10 - S11 - S13 then S14 in that order if all is ok.

Yet to have one go faulty on a properly installed installation. But then there is always a first time.

will do, i'm not at home at the present so will try that when i get in and post what i find

thanks

tonea2003 said:
gas4you said:

will do, i'm not at home at the present so will try that when i get in and post what i find

thanks

right i've tried turning up the temp - no difference
with the i button pressed it was showing s3 and s4 back and forwards
when the hot tap is running s13 and s14 is shown
also an s7 appeared at first and also s23/24
some are not listed in operation manual i have
confused - sure am, looks like an engineer to me!!!!!! :(

S3 is ignition sequence ch, S4 is burner lit CH;

S13 is ignition sequence HW, S14 is burner lit HW

S7 is pump overrun CH

S23 is ignition for warm start and S24 is burner lit warm start.

Turn DHW stat fully anti clockwise and hold there for 2 secs to turn off warm start. Then turn back so DHW temp is set at 55-60C.

What is the flow/pressure like from your hot taps?

gas4you said:
S3 is ignition sequence ch, S4 is burner lit CH;

S13 is ignition sequence HW, S14 is burner lit HW

S7 is pump overrun CH

S23 is ignition for warm start and S24 is burner lit warm start.

Turn DHW stat fully anti clockwise and hold there for 2 secs to turn off warm start. Then turn back so DHW temp is set at 55-60C.

What is the flow/pressure like from your hot taps?

i have done that but unfortunately that has made no difference
just the usual a short burst of hot followed by alternating hot and cold
the flow is fairly constant :!: :?: :!: :?:

I would think that either the flow rate is too low or perhaps the dhw thermistor is faulty. Sounds like a call to Vaillant tomorrow then :cry:

At least as you're not one of my customers I can still say I have a 100% no fault record. Does not help you though.

Post back after warranty visit to let me know the outcome. Always eager to learn of different faults and fixes ;)

gas4you said:
I would think that either the flow rate is too low or perhaps the dhw thermistor is faulty. Sounds like a call to Vaillant tomorrow then :cry:

At least as you're not one of my customers I can still say I have a 100% no fault record. Does not help you though.

Post back after warranty visit to let me know the outcome. Always eager to learn of different faults and fixes ;)

ok thanks for your advice, i will post back once i have a resolution

We had an ecoTEC out of the box with a dodgy DHW sensor two weeks ago.

When Vaillant service turned up, he didn't have an NTC because 'he'd used it earlier the same morning'.

So there may be a batch of dodgy ones :eek:

tonea2003 said:
gas4you said:

ok thanks for your advice, i will post back once i have a resolution

ok problem resolved - it appeared to be something to do with the flue. we have had builders doing work on the roof and apparently they had disturbed the flue while removing tiles around it. i had mentioned this to them but assured me they hadn't. but subsequently have reset/repositioned and lo and behold perfect hot water.
not sure how and why what they did caused the problem but it is now working fine

Tony what store are you refering to?

837 is a standard combi steamer.

Sorry Danny, I have had the 937 on my mind as I was suggesting one to someone recently.

I am still waiting for someone with one or installing one to tell me how long it will deliver 20 li/min at 35 C for.

Those who have fitted them seem surprisingly reluctant to tell us!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back