Copper Water Tanks - What to Do

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to get my central heating system replaced, and will be getting rid of my hot water tanks.

Quite a few people have said that if the tanks are copper (would need to strip off some insulation to find out) then I'd be best off keeping them and selling them as copper is worth quite a bit just now. I have no idea whether this is true or not, but thought some of you folks would know :)

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
hi mate...Whatever you do do not throw away the copper water tanks..they are worth a lot of money, do not put them in your garden or front garden as a temporary storage, people will rob them...my next door neighbour, an elederly lady had her central heathing installed by the council, they took out the copper tank, straightaway the workman put it in his van...theiving gits..i told her that she should have kept it, but she didnt knew and is a very shy old lady..my uncle removed a tank, put it in his front garden just for a few minutes, came out it was gone..Sell it to a metal dealer..

I let a passing scrappie have my old copper water cylinder, a load of radiators and a good deal of old copper pipework from my house for £50 cash - it was worth it to me just to have the stuff taken away without any hassles, especially as I thought I was going to have to pay for a skip to get rid of at least some of it - either that or have the hassle of transporting it around to get a good price for it.

The speed at which he 'bit my hand off' for the amount I wanted suggested to me that it was probably worth a bit more though - I've since been told that the cylinder was probably worth around £35 on it's own.

I guess it depends how much hassle you want to give yourself for that kind of money !

Sponsored Links
chuckalicious said:
I don't think £35 is worth the hassle....

I guess it was a tight a**e that told me :)
are you mad man.. :eek: ...all you have to do is pick the tank up...put it in your car...take to your local metal dealer...and you got some money in your pocket....lol....ill have it if you dont want it mate? ;)

To put this into perspective - there is now more than 2 pence worth of copper in a 2 pence piece!

coins Only if it is before a certain date. As for value of a scrap cylinder prob about £15 for standard size one 18" by 36"

you`re right Namsag...it`s Braziery....not pure copper ;)

IJWS15 said:
To put this into perspective - there is now more than 2 pence worth of copper in a 2 pence piece!

The latest lot are copper plated steel.... Try them with a magnet!

Nige F said:
you`re right Namsag...it`s Braziery....not pure copper ;)

I get around £40 for a standard cylinder with the foam left on, well I did last week and just over £2/kilo for copper BE.

When i do a strip out if you want the tanks you can have it along with the old rads , boilers and any other junk i strip out,you take some you get the lot.

If i take the tank/scrap i clear all the rubbish at same time.

40 quid for a standard cylinder seems way too high . clean copper around £3k a ton mixed just over£2k.... Dont collect it at all let the scrapy pick everything up, cardboard, rads , copper and rubble etc saves hassle of waste license and loading the van up with sh#te and going up tip.

I always take mine in, on an average bb out, hw cyl out and combi in I usually get around £100 for scrap copper, including as much pipe as I can get me hands on:cool:

Keeps me in stella & bacardi for 3 or 4 days :LOL: and a few take aways as I usually home late.

In my area we get about £80 average for strip out, incl about £18 - £25 for a cylinder. Set up an account with a scrappy and save up the cash value. We save it up over the year and use it as our company Christmas fund and have a mega blow-out. Just hope the scrappy doesnt take yer cash in November and buy himself another blacked-out Range Rover with private plate ! :evil: :confused: :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back