Vokera Mynute 14se pump noise etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

we moved into our flat a few months back, and inherited this old conventional boiler (without any manual as ever).

Up til yesterday, there was minor noise in the middle of the night, even though HW and CH were set to off on the programmer... nothing more than a slight groan really, so thought nothing of it.

3am this morning it started making a very loud grinding/grating noise (sounded like my neighbour was drilling the walls). I swiftly turned off the power, and then double checked this afternoon where the noise was coming from.

I'm pretty sure the pump has failed, as the noise is coming directly from it as well as a fair bit of vibration. Is this likely?

Any ideas what might be the cause of the night time running, which seems to have caused the pump to fail prematurely?

cheers in advance!
Marc

Edit: meant to say as well, the pressure is down at 0.4... when it tried to get going earlier, this went up to 0.7, but dropped again as soon as the boiler decided to give up!

Sponsored Links
Quite often boilers are pre-programmed to spin the pump every 24hrs to stop it jamming :eek:

Could be this.

Fan could also grind stuck.

gas4you said:
Quite often boilers are pre-programmed to spin the pump every 24hrs to stop it jamming :eek:

Could be this.

Oh, so the night-time running might not be a fault?
I've tried to start the boiler this evening, but all I get is the loud noise before it gives up trying (pilot light comes on for 10 secs or so, before shutting off when the pump stops).

gas4you said:

Could be this.

I dont think his boiler is that sophisticated!

Pumps fail in 95% of cases as a result of dirt in the system. He presumably has a dirty system that has worn out the bearings.

Take a sample of water and see if its clear or not!

Tony

Sponsored Links
I dont think his boiler is that sophisticated!

well it does have a proudly displayed sticker saying 'serviced 8/11/97'!

Pumps fail in 95% of cases as a result of dirt in the system. He presumably has a dirty system that has worn out the bearings.

Take a sample of water and see if its clear or not!

sorry if I sound a tad dim, but where's the best place to take a water sample from?

thanks for the help

Marc

Without seeing the system I can only suggest a rad valve vent or the pump screw!

Whatever you stick on a shop girl from Neasden it will not make her very "sophisticated".

I think your boiler is (over) due for a service! Vokera recommend every year!

Tony

Mark- GET the pressure up to 1 bar ASAP. Pressure appears to be too low. Do not jumo to conclusion that the pump is faulty. Boiler could be damaged beyond economical repair if not looked at soon and is run with system pressure this low.

Can service your boiler. Am in Bearsden.

Hi,

thanks for the replies.

I checked the water, and all seems pretty clear.

I bumped up the pressure to 1 bar, and the boiler began to run almost normally (with a regular 'chugging' noise, coming from the pump it seems).
Just as I was closing everything up I noticed a drip though. This drip is coming from the pipework above the pump, behind the bulk of the unit, so I can't quite see where it's actually from.
With this drip, I'm having to raise the pressure every day or so....

EDIT: Could the drip be from the pressure relief pipe (is this above the pump at the back)? When I first turned up the pressure it crept up above 3 bar, and the safety valve popped, with the pressure dropping back down to 1 bar.

Thanks for all the help!

the drip could be from the auto air vent or if its coming from right behind the boiler it could be the expansion vessel or the connection to it.

another possibility is the connection to the heat exchanger leaking but i cant remember if its still back there on your model. it was on the older ones.

Cheers for the help.

Just my luck, the boiler's given up completely now! Won't even fire up (well, apart from once last night when it started up, pressure shot up to 3 bar, and it cut out again).

As suggested your boiler is in need of service. It will only play up if you neglect it further.

Hi DP

is it possible for you to give a rough cost for servicing the boiler? Just need to know how much to put aside etc.

Not on the forum. Email and I will give details of my charges.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back