Pipe leaks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Using galvanized 1/2 inch steel pipes from the faucet to the bath spigot and to the shower head. I used teflon tape as specified and turned the pipes into the elbows and faucet as tight as I could get them, however I get a leak at the top elbow to the shower, and when I run the hot water, I get a leak at the top of the pipe that goes into the faucet. Any ideas on how to better prevent leaks when using galvinized steel pipe?

Sponsored Links
You should be aware that this is UK site so we often don't know what you are talking about. We don't really have spigots or faucets.

However, from your description it sounds like you haven't used enough teflon tape - which, for simplicity, we call Polytetrafluoroethylene.

You could also try using some jointing compound, but I don't know what you call this - maybe its internal semi-setting anti-egress bonding agent or something.

Whats wrong with copper pipe? Or is there some sort of U.S. regulation stopping you from using it? ;)

EliteHeat said:
You could also try using some jointing compound, but I don't know what you call this - maybe its internal semi-setting anti-egress bonding agent or something.

I ended up on an american web site by accident t'other day.... I think they call it 'Pipe Dope' :confused:

Plenty of PTFE tape, wound clockwise, until the end of the male thread only just enters the fitting. Then there's enough tape to compress to form a seal.

Wind it round the wrong way, and it unravels as you tighten the fitting.

Sponsored Links
Pipe dope is correct, as well as joint compound. Do a search on spigot and faucet and see how many of you use the terms. Oh, maybe they were more displaced yankees, I didn't look to close. I used PFTE tape but perhaps not enough, and wound it clockwise all the way to the end. I'll try the joint compound as it was recommended on a Worldwide web site in America too. Nothing wrong with copper pipe, except maybe it's a hot commodity for thieves in the states due to it's scrap medal value. Galvanized steel was simply easier to install from the PEX hot and cold supply. They've got these really neat quick connects to any other type of pipe.

Actually after I signed up to post I noticed this site was used mostly by the British, but the last time I checked the Internet is worldwide (Al Gore says he invented it ,) :p and Google has made it a lot smaller. It was second on my search of the words "shower leaks".
And wouldn't you know it, there are flags next to our posts to distinquish where we're all from. Funny that.

Besides I used to live in the UK, Lower Tysoe, while stationed with the USAF at RAF Upper Heyford in the early 80's, so I thought it would be fun to see what you knew about plumbing. It's nice to see the Brits still have a sense of humor.

I am a descendant of Anne Hathaway's family, (Shakespear's Anne), coached football, am a Gunner fan, played a little rugby, developed a cockney accent, and was the number one dart thrower for a local pub called the Deddington Arms, (had a 12 dart out, double on, double off, in a 501 match, while in my usual Guiness stupor). I also think Beckham may be a little bent, but he's good for the American game.

Thanks for the tips.
968330.jpg

Yes I did, though it was not easy. The leak at the top of the shower, I used quite a bit of PFTE Tape and joint compound before it stopped. The leak near where the spigot nipple went into the faucet, I used only extra tape and it stopped. I took the whole thing apart five times before it was done.

Thanks for the advice. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back