HELP changing a plug needed!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have a electrical item that my puppy has damaged the plug on so it needs the plug replacing. it has one of them new fitted plugs on so i have cut that off and am left with two wires I'm used to rewiring plugs but the old way using 3 wires what do i do with this one?

Sponsored Links
many appliances have 2 wires, many also have 3 wires. neither is an old or new way.

You have a Live and a Neutral.

Just use the two wires. Red or brown to live pin and blue or black to neutral pin. Leave earth pin in situ. Put in a fuse to suit (look at old plug for size). HTH

and make damn sure the thing you cut off really is just a plug and not a wall wart first :evil:

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:
and make damn sure the thing you cut off really is just a plug and not a wall wart first :evil:

LMAO - I suppose there is a good chance some people just wouldn't have a clue!

Also, on the old plug, get some pliers and bend a pin around to prevent it being plugged in. A habbit I was taught, and have carried on doing.

Maxxy said:
Or pull the earth pin out before throwing it away

Why? I would have thought that would be worse than rendering the plug / cable unusable?

Maxxy said:
Or pull the earth pin out before throwing it away

NOT effective as some sockets will open with only the Live and Neutral pins being present.

If the cable is cut and cannot be removed "crush" the plug.

And pointless, I was talking about moulded plugs cut off items. A removeable plug could be re-used, or the cables removed.

plugwash said:

I am an electrcian but have never heard of a wall wart?! What is one of them??

flyingsparks said:
plugwash said:

I am an electrcian but have never heard of a wall wart?! What is one of them??

A power supply or transformer or other voltage conversion built into the plug.

Ok, a bit of a hijack but I'm thinking that the thread has died anyway.

When doing PAT testing, in most places there are a host of wall warts and these are used to power eveything from phones to printers.

But there's nothing to test.

All class 2 so no earth bond test
No fuse that can be accessed
No point in doing an IR test
Not even a supply cord to inspect

BUT it fulfils the description of a portable appliance so do i just bung an OK sticker on it and take the money and run? :confused:

Since PAT testing came in in 89 I've always wondered about that!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back