Running electric cable to shed in garden?`

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just had a concrete base installed at the rear of my garden for a workshop/shed , and am also getting the garden levelled and re-turffed this week.

My question is i will want to have power/lighting in the workshop as i like to call it :D
What do i need to install under the turf as the leccy will be coming after the work is complete in the garden.

Do i need to lay armoured cable, or like a sleeve for the cables to go thru? If so what type, as im not sure what to get.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Lay a duct at least 450mm deep, backfill the trench about 3/4 full and lay warning tape then cover over. Don't forget to insert a draw line for the cable - something pretty substantial too.

For the duct you can use pretty much anything - 110mm soil pipe, 40mm waste pipe or you might get away with 25mm flexible conduit depending on the cable size required.

The best idea would be to install black plastic ducting with a draw rope in it.

Also you should lay warning tape directly above the duct.

Avoid any 90 degree bends in the ducting.

I would install a 75mm duct to allow your electrician to install whatever sized cable he deems suitable for your requirements.

<edit> Bah too slow!

run a 40mm push fit pipe for a telephone too.

as for 90 degeree bend use 2 x 45 degree bends with a short pipe in between

Sponsored Links
Thank you both very much for your advice,

i think i will go for a slightly larger duck and use the rope, as suggested this way the leccy can use whatever he deems suitable.

Good idea breezer didn't think about the phone!!
but why 40mm isn't that abit big?

i like the push fit idea.

Thanks fo your advice peeps

Edit: all straight no bends, oh i guess 40mm being the standard size of waste pipe- duh, even bigger duh if im wrong lolzzz :D

40mm allows for lots of telephones :LOL:, no its just that its easier

32mm is the other standard size for waste pipe. There's only £4 difference between the two for 30metres though...

40mm might sound on the large size, but think future proofing.

You might in the future want to have one or all of the following in your workshop:

Alarm wiring
Telephone
TV
CCTV back to the house
Computer network
Something else which hasn't been invented yet

(you get the idea)

i used 40mm to supply my fountain, glad i did.

what i would like to know how can there be a starit run with no bends if there is a concrete base and the pipe is to go underground?

breezer said:
i used 40mm to supply my fountain, glad i did.

what i would like to know how can there be a starit run with no bends if there is a concrete base and the pipe is to go underground?

well the base is already in, so i guess the cable will enter through the side of the workshop, which is still very good point, so there will be a bend or two.

i wanted to get advice on the main garden part as its getting levelled tomorrow, so ill run the duct upto the base and leave it there(plugged) and will sort it out when the workshop goes up.

so to summarise,

I will get 40mm waste pipe with straight couplers, a few bends,

And i will run two along side each other, one for power and one for comms.

oh and not to forget the draw string!

Use 45 degree bends or less if you can, it will make drawing the cable easier.

GnzYza said:
breezer said:
40mm allows for lots of telephones :LOL:, no its just that its easier

:LOL:

40mm for broadband, 32mm for narrowband?
.... Sorry, couldn't resist :oops:

Actually, you would be lucky to pull a cable into a duct if the cable takes up more than about 40% of the duct, so it's best well oversized.

Solvent weld the joints, otherwise they may come apart as cable are pulled in. Then the next cable cannot be pulled in.

Nothing worse than having to dig down to a dislocated joint and try to un-dislocate it. As you do the next joint along becomes disclocated.

And when pulling cable in pull in a new draw cord for the next time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back