Hole in Internal Breeze block wall - How to fill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I hope that this is in the correct forum - apologies if not.

Having got a new boiler in a different location in the house, I have since had the 1970's Asbestos-Cement flue removed from the house. At one point this went horizontally through an internal (breeze-block) wall (Cupboard to Bathroom) before continuing vertically to the ceiling.

I now have a hole in the breeze-block about 7-8 inches diameter which I need to fill - what is the best way of doing this? Given that one side of the wall is in a cupboard, I considered screwing a board to that side, and filling the majority of the hole with expanding foam and then covering with plaster. Thoughts and Comments appreciated. Cheers

Sponsored Links
Get another breeze block and cut it to fit, they are really easy to cut using an old saw. Then mortar it in. The foam thing would work but could end up a disaster, that expanding foam is messy stuff.

Deluks said:
Get another breeze block and cut it to fit, they are really easy to cut using an old saw. Then mortar it in. The foam thing would work but could end up a disaster, that expanding foam is messy stuff.

i would follow the above advice, adding only to say, damp both the block and the location with water first.

Thanks for the advice... guess I'll have to go and see what the smallest number of breezeblocks I can buy is... presumably not a single one :(

Sponsored Links
you can buy 1 if thats all you want or be cheeky and ask if you can have one for a sample

Thanks for all the advice - bought a single breeze block (got some odd looks both at the builders merchant and on the bus home though ;) ) and cold chiselled it to the right size rather than saw, but other than that it worked great as suggested.

You can often get a free sample from those steel display cabinets positioned at the side of the road outside a house where building work is being done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back