draining twin-valve radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an open vented, fully pumped gas central heating system which makes a lot of noise. I've been advised that I should flush the system with some sludge remover which will require me to drain the system.

The problem is that the feed and return pipes on all my downstairs radiators are micro-bore pipes that descend directly from above each radiator into twin-valves at one end of the radiator. There seems to be no draincock low down from which to drain the water. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might achieve this without empty the contents of the radiator onto the carpet?

Thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
Depends on the type of twin-entry valve; with a lot of them you can undo the fitting that actually goes into the radiator to drain down the rad; and then connect a hose onto the valve and drain that way - Alternatively; I have had to drain one before via the by-pass screw; although I must say I got fed up and ended up freezing the pipe; cutting it and then connecting it to the hose.

Are you sure the installer has not put a drain cock on at least one radiator?

Thanks for the quick reply!

GeckoGas-com said:
Are you sure the installer has not put a drain cock on at least one radiator?

Yes, I am pretty sure.. and in any case there would have to be one on all the radiators I think as they are all fed independently from above?

Can you tell how easy the draining would be from this photo?

twinentryvalve.jpg
[/img]

Mike

Looks just big enough to get a tray under there; turn the valve off and the by-pass off; crack the nut; remove the rad and then connect hose to the rad valve.

Alternatively; jump the microbore off and hook up to a hose; you'll need to get a bit imaginative with fittings; I now carry a BG hose with a selection of 15mm pipe lengths coupled with varying microbore reducers.

Sorry; there is gonna be no easy path to the world of dry pipes.

Best of luck

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much. I get the picture... oh dear, this is going to be much more complicated than I had originally thought.. A couple of days ago I thought draining the system would just take half an hour... until I discovered this minor detail with the downstairs radiators..

On a different but related subject.. if I'm to put sludge remover into the system it will all have to be drained out again won't it? .. and from the whole system.. not just via the drain cock at the boiler? Is there anyway to get the cleaner into the system and out again without removing all the radiators?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back