Fitting a terminal outlet box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am getting a new electric cooker installed,
The old cooker was connected by just having the cable from the control unit conected to the cooker directly with the wiring joined together and tape over it.
I know I need a terminal outlet box.
Can I fit this Directly behind the cooker?
I have about 18inches of cable from the control unit coming out the wall behind the cooker so the new terminal box would be about 12 inches below the hob level behind the cooker.
I just want to know if that is legal
Comet are delivering the new cooker and connecting it and I do not want them to say they can not connect it due to the box being in wrong place
Thank you for any comments
Mike

Sponsored Links
If you can get hold of the installation instructions for the cooker before it arrives it might have a recommended position for the box. Try the manufacturer's web site - if they've got one.

you can put the cooker outlet behind the cooker.

They are usually about 450mm above floor level. The higher it is the more it is likely to be heated by waste heat from the oven.

They can be recessed into a metal wall box recessed into the wall so they do not protrude. Due to the thickness of the wires the box is quite deep so a surface one would stick out and might prevent you pushing the cooker back to the wall. When chasing out the hole start just past where the cable comes out so that you do not risk damaging it.

The outlet does not have to be directly behind the cooker but if not should be fairly close. The cable, where chased into the wall, should run directly vertically or horizontally from the control switch - diagonal or bent runs are not permitted unless you provide a lot of protection which is fairly impractical.

JohnD said:
diagonal or bent runs are not permitted unless you provide a lot of protection which is fairly impractical.
Since it's going to be hidden behind an appliance you could just surface clip it and avoid the whole permitted routes issue completely.

Sponsored Links
true

(scotsman46 - the reason for the straight runs is so that people can later forecast where the cable is likely to be so they don't drill or nail into it. As plug says, if the cable is visible thsi is not very likely)

Many thanks for the replies.
The box will have to be fitted about 700mm from floor level which will be approx 200mm down from the top of cooker due to the length of the existing cable coming through the wall from the control unit.
I will let you know how I get on.
Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back