smelly drains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We have really bad sewer smells coming from the outside drain where are bath and sink water go. The smell comes intermittently after usage. I have cleared the drain of debris. There is no blockage according to DynoRod. We are at a loss - help please!

Sponsored Links
there may be an open vent missing from the system.........people go round putting durgo valves on where there should be open-to-atmosphere vents...so your gulley is "venting" as the water is disturbed........just an idea :idea:

Thank you Nige F - being a DIY dimwit - how would I check out if what you suggest might be the case?

have a look round the property for a pipe out thru roof or standing up side of house....provided you`ve not got a fan in the bathroom that can be thru a similar pipe :rolleyes: ........ideally you need a plumber who can look and identify, or even put a smoke test on the drains..that`ll show it up :LOL: Good luck in finding one who`s not corgi, and charges £££££££because he`s gas qualified :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Thanks Nige F. Two plastic pipes come out of the bathroom wall and into an open metal pipe which runs about 2m down the wall to an open drain. Out plumber suggested sealing the open drain. But we worry that that might force the smell up into the bathroom?

Do you think we should seal the open drain?

I had a similar problem here. I eventually got the big rubber gauntlets on and " dug out " the trap in the drain by hand....( very smelly )
Then a flush out with fresh water and jeyes fluid... Nice and clean now...Not a trace of smell.. :)

Thanks - we tried that but the smell comes back. If we haven't used the bathroom sink or bath for a few hours then when we use it the smell comes pouring out of the drain. It smells like sewage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back