Just started level 2 technical certificate at college.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Im new on here just signed up so go easy on me! Just started my plumbing course at college (last week) doing part time 2 nights a week. Enjoying it and the challenge it will make, any hints and tips i can take on board?

Sponsored Links
Without sounding negative, what ever you learn at college will probably never be relevant in the real world out there :eek:

Most courses deal with traditional old fashioned technology as they can't affored to buy the up to date kit to train you on :eek:

Most of the trainers are old school as well.

But stick with it and reasd up with trade mags etc to get you current.

Can't be a waste of time as you are always learning. The real world of plumbing is nothing like a classroom. Once you have passed all your exams you then start the real training, getting experience ;)

This cannot be taught in a classroom, but we all started somewhere.

Sponsored Links
Only hard graft, study and listening will achieve results, don,t forget to ask if you are not clear about a particular task you are asked to do.
As well as the hard work you have to put in don,t forget to party now annd again. :D
Good luck in your chosen profession !

Keith.

That's what i need experience, i'm going to put a lot of time into it, i have Theory one night and Workshop the other, it's all about getting out there and being with someone to show you the ropes. It's going to be a long two years but i'm looking forward to it. :LOL:

wiggikins said:
Only hard graft, study and listening will achieve results, don,t forget to ask if you are not clear about a particular task you are asked to do.
As well as the hard work you have to put in don,t forget to party now annd again. :D
Good luck in your chosen profession !

Keith.

Cheers Keith! :LOL: i will get some partying in at some point!

Enthusiasm and committment count for a lot, but as said don't ever be afraid to ask or say 'I don't know'. Non of us ever know all the answers and I'm a firm beleiver in honesty and walking away from a job if I am not 100% confident I can do it or fix it.

I will do. I'm learning the tools at the minute! Been given a list of tools we are going to use so i'm reading up on things, i am doing Cold Water in our first topic.

I did nvq2 four years ago part time... now self employed and doing ok... done oftec Training. I would say (1) Listen carefully at college (2) Ask if there is anything you don't understand (and there will be plenty).

Where do you live? What you doing in the day time? It can be hard to achieve well on some courses without the practical hands on day in day out. Get another plumber on-side who you can call upon for anything that is unfamiliar. I still come across strange things I've never seen before... think logically, plan ahead, and ALWAYS have a plan b!!

Good luck

Hi Dave,

Yeah i work in my local Council offices during the day, pen pushing!! Boring! It's good to find someone who has done the course and is doing well. Any help would be great, i will take on board everything you say, always reading up on things, and going through the book i have bought. I live in Tameside Greater Manchester :LOL:

That book looks OK. There are others, eg by Treloar. Often handy to have 2 books covering the same subject.
DO use this site - masses of information here you'll never find in a book.

A tip:
Get a tap seat recutter (the diy one is fine) and some washers (mixed box about £9), and
A set of drain rods.
Both will pay for themselves the first time you use them!

Start doing odd plumbing jobs for friends and family. Good luck!

Any tips on what tools and books i need will be greatly received. The tools that i've had to get for the time being are a pair of pipe cutters and a tape measure, but yeah i'm going to get stuck into the book i've got and read up on everything. i've got 11 exams to do in the two years :rolleyes:

I am surprised that no one has suggested that you find a local plumber to go along with to gain practical experience. That job is 98% practical!

Dont expect to get paid anything and carry the tools, make the tea and do everything to make yourself be seen as an advantage and not a hinderance.

Give up holidays to spend all the time possible to go out with the plumber and gain experience.

Dont expect the earnings to be very high either. Hope for £20-£25k after three years working.

Tony

dcp1975 said:
Any tips on what tools and books i need will be greatly received. The tools that i've had to get for the time being are a pair of pipe cutters and a tape measure, but yeah i'm going to get stuck into the book i've got and read up on everything. i've got 11 exams to do in the two years :rolleyes:

As chrisr says the R.Treloar books are good-he does a plumbing one which covers all basic plumbing plus some basic gas info and he also does a plumbing encyclopedia and both are pretty simple reading and easy to understand without getting too technical.

Tools you might want to get hold of - Water pump pliers, immersion heater spanner, box spanners for monobloc mixer taps, files,adjustable wrenches,stillsons-different sizes, screwdrivers, you'll find once you start doing it on a regular basis your toolkit will just keep getting bigger-and you'll have to keep getting a bigger toolbox. Good luck. Chris

Whats the 11 exams by the way?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back