Seized backnuts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to replace two 1/2" basin taps but can't undo the backnuts with a basin spanner. They're very tight and I can't put a lot of pressure on the spanner because it starts to turn on the nuts.

I thought of trying a hacksaw but I can't get it up to the nut because of the recess in the bottom of the basin.

Anybody got any tips to help me please?

Sponsored Links
I think you need a good basin wrench that will not slip off, but even then you will most likely find you can't stop the tap itself from turning.
I have a short piece of timber with a recess cut into one end to accomadate the spout of the tap to prevent it from turning.
You may try putting timber between tap spout and wall to prevent turning.
Also try WD 40 and leaving to soak in.
Another tool to use instead of the basin wrench would be a box spanner.
You will have to push pipe to one side a little but it can't slip.
With enough force on both spanner and tap it will move.
When you get a small movement,stop and turn it back a bit, then repeat the operation. It helps loosen it and allows WD 40 to creep a little further. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Where can he buy a tap nut sized box spanners?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Sorry Tony! he didn't ask that question, but box spanners can be purchased (and even modified). :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Agile said:
Where can he buy a tap nut sized box spanners?
Seriously. Have you ever actually done any plumbing? :confused:

OP - this will fit:

If you've got the balls, a very small amount of heat can expand things enough to get the nuts moving. Are the pipes in the way or can they be moved?

Softus said:
Agile said:
Seriously. Have you ever actually done any plumbing? :confused:

I say often enough that I repair boilers.

Plumbing is for plumbers!

Just as well as there are so many problems that can arise with anything even as simple as a tap!

Like having to remove a bath to undo a bath tap!

As I understand boilers then they are simple and less things to go wrong.

If I wanted to do plumbing then I could do it but then I would be up against the east Europeans who do it cheaper. At least I know with boilers that not many people understand them.

Tony

PS the box spanner in the picture is too small!

If the tap's scrap, you can use a drill. Sharpened masonry drill will do:

Drilltapout.jpg

You could try using a 'Bearhug' wrench on the tap backnut (and tailnut). This is a newish tool widely available, e.g. from Toolbank or BES.

This tool works on nuts that have become rounded as well.

Cheers, Big Al

I've just wrestled with this problem. My plumber (having warned me of the risk) cracked an antique wash basin attempting to dislodge the old taps for replacement. I purchased a replacement basin from a salvage yard and hit the problem of getting the old taps out. This was obviously easier with the basin on a workbench. The first tap yielded to pressure with a box spanner after a couple of days drenching with penetrating oil. The second just wouldn't budge. I tried heating, but to no avail (the backnut was in a recess and I had to be extra careful with this).

What worked was to carefully drill through one side of the brass backnut with a 3mm bit - first through the thread and then through the flange. Then I was able to break the backnut by twisting a screwdriver in the slot I'd cut. In my case, the old taps were scrap, but this didn't do much damage to the thread on the tap.

I dont know if you realise but for your first posting you have added to a thread that is three years old.

People mostly come on forums to ask advice from professionals.

Tony

• Thanks
Reactions: RWH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back