Boiler is still pumping over

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a gravity fed system with a potterton 60e profile which replaced a baxi about 4 years ago. The pump used to be inside the boiler now it is next to it as all the pipework wouldnt fit in it. It was an emergency replacement as the old boiler packed up.

I think that since the new boiler was fitted (but I didnt keep a note of timing) I have had an ongoing problem with water coming out of the F&E overflow pipe. For some period of time it would intermittently spew a load of water out. I think that this was worse in the mornings but my neighbours say that they noticed it on occasions we werent in - so it could have been happening at all different times. Our plumber said he thought it was the coil in the cylinder and oddly enough once he diagnosed this we got a constant drip rather than periodic overflows.

He replaced the cylinder. We still have periodic overflows but I think that I have ascertained when they happen.

When the CH kicks in the pipe going into the cylinder cools down. This is still cool when the CH clicks off. The boiler fires up and gets very very hot then there is an almight explosion and water (?) shoots up the expansion pipe and out of the overflow.

If I turn the boiler to zero as soon as the CH clicks off this doesnt happen. Because it hasnt got cold yet the heating has not been on for any length of time. It seemed to be worse when we had a bath in the morning and the heating was on but I actually think that this is just a coincidence as this morning I tested it out. I pushed the CH up and then turned it down once the boiler had stopped firing. However, the boiler fired up and again and it pumped over.

We have had a cleaner put in the system which has to be left for a few weeks but it doesnt seem to be doing anything. The water coming out of the overflow is very orange.

Is this a blockage - as the plumber says he may need to put in stronger stuff in or poweflush and I have said he may need to cut the feed pipe(?) - or do you think that the pump may be in the wrong place. One plumber said the the pipes dont go the right way to the radiators but didnt elaborate.

This is really getting to me now - not least that it cant be doing the system any good and the water dumps onto the kitchen roof which can be quite alarming if youre in there.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Clearly you have a blockage in the pipework to the cylinder, which might be a faulty motorized valve.

Please check that the F&E cistern has enough water in it. Then check whether you have none, or one, or two motorized zone valves.

Clearly the boiler hasn;t been connected right :rolleyes:

Did the plumber fit the injector disc in the return on the boiler.

Is the switch set to gravity position.

Is there any controls on the primary circuit.

where is the cold feed and vent connected and what size.

Is there a by-pass valve

Is there an motorized valve on the heating

If your water is significantly discoloured then your system will need power flushing and whatever modifications are required to stop the pumping over.

Pumping over will cause very serious sludging in just a few days. Ignoring that will usually make a £120 repair into a several hundred pound job usually involving power flushing as well as correcting the original fault.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I will have a look when I get home. Are you saying that this is either a blockage or a faulty valve (if we have such things)? Where is the blockage most likely to be? Having read lots of threads I thought that it was in the cold feed pipe - if I knew which this was.

We have just had a new cylinder and I would have thought that the pipe going into the coil would be clear. There is only about six inches or so of this coming as a tee out of the pipe that then carries on as the vent pipe so I dont understand how the water can keep going up the vent pipe but bypass the pipe going into the coil as I really dont think that there is a blockage at this point.

However it sort of makes sense if there is but how then does hot water go into the coil which it does as it can get quite hot at times.

Our system is not fully pumped but we do have a pump (just for the CH?). Will we, should we, have these motorised valves do you suppose?

You don't have a blockage, the boiler hasn't been connected properly.

You say the primary pipes cool when the heating is on, it shouldn;t happen, would suspect the injector disc has been left out.

The cold feed ond ven should be connected at the boiler on the cylinder.

Perhaps you could sketch the pipework and post it

jamesn6 said:
I will have a look when I get home. Are you saying that this is either a blockage or a faulty valve (if we have such things)?
Nobody has said that. You need to post the facts about your system here for further diagnosis.

Where is the blockage most likely to be? Having read lots of threads I thought that it was in the cold feed pipe - if I knew which this was.
You're guessing. Don't guess.

We have just had a new cylinder and I would have thought that the pipe going into the coil would be clear. There is only about six inches or so of this coming as a tee out of the pipe that then carries on as the vent pipe so I dont understand how the water can keep going up the vent pipe but bypass the pipe going into the coil as I really dont think that there is a blockage at this point.
Nobody has said that the this is where a blockage would be. You need to post the facts about your system here for further diagnosis.

However it sort of makes sense if there is but how then does hot water go into the coil which it does as it can get quite hot at times.
You're guessing again.

Our system is not fully pumped but we do have a pump (just for the CH?). Will we, should we, have these motorised valves do you suppose?
Are you seriously asking us to predict whether or not you'll find motorised valves when you get home?!
Just go home and look. :rolleyes:

If its gravity hot water then you will not have any motorised valves.

You will have to accept that your system is seriously blocked and will need properly cleaning.

The blockage causing the pumping over will be in the vicinity of the feed and vent but these are likely to be wrongly fitted in your case and will need to be corrected after the blockage is removed.

Tony

Agile said:

You will have to accept that your system is seriously blocked and will need properly cleaning.

The blockage causing the pumping over will be in the vicinity of the feed and vent but these are likely to be wrongly fitted in your case and will need to be corrected after the blockage is removed.

Tony

You can have MV's with gravity primaries Tony.

Unlikely to be a blockage as it has had the problem since it was installed.

Agile said:
Now you're at it. You're assuming that the DHW primary circulates by gravity; the OP hasn't said that [yet]. :rolleyes:

Softus said:
Agile said:
Now you're at it. You're assuming that the DHW primary circulates by gravity; the OP hasn't said that [yet]. :rolleyes:

yes he has :LOL:

Thanks all.

Softus - having read other threads have got the impression you can be a little 'abrasive'!

I am a woman actually!!!

Yes - we have a gravity system.

I dont KNOW if we have had the problem since the new boiler was fitted but think that we probably have.

I was only speculating so I knew what to say to the plumber.

What I dont understand is why we dont get the pumping over when we have HW only, nor actually when the CH is on. It seems to happen when the CH reaches the right temp and switches off.

One plumber, as I said, told us that the pipes to the radiators were the wrong way round. Could this have happened when the new boiler was fitted, ie the pipes werent moved obviously but the connection made wrong? I know, I'm speculating again!

Do we change pipework and then clean through again?

jamesn6 said:
Softus - having read other threads have got the impression you can be a little 'abrasive'!
You're quite wrong - I can be a very abrasive, but I can also be very helpful.

I am a woman actually!
Is this a guess, or did you go home and check? ;)

Yes - we have a gravity system.
This can mean different things to different people. Why do you mean by it?

I was only speculating so I knew what to say to the plumber.
If a plumber has been engaged, why do you think you need the help of the forum to solve the problem? :confused:

What I dont understand is why we dont get the pumping over when we have HW only, nor actually when the CH is on. It seems to happen when the CH reaches the right temp and switches off.
All will be revealed when the problem is understood.

One plumber, as I said, told us that the pipes to the radiators were the wrong way round. Could this have happened when the new boiler was fitted, ie the pipes werent moved obviously but the connection made wrong? I know, I'm speculating again!
:idea:

Do we change pipework and then clean through again?
No, you work out (or the plumber works out) what's wrong, then you correct it.

At the moment, none of the assumptions that anyone has made here is definitely wrong (except that you were a "he"), but they won't all turn out to be correct.

This has gone about as far as it can without the information asked of you in the sticky topic at the beginning of the P&CH forum.

Okay

I thought that gravity was the opposite of fully pumped.

It is a 1950s house which is probably on its third boiler.

I'll take a picture of the pipework and the pump.

I dont think that my plumber has a clue - hence I will probably need to engage someone else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back